Esteemed Contributor

Does The Cold Bother Your Knee Replacement?

It got really cold the last day or so here.  It was 17 degrees thus morning.  My new knee has been much more painful, achy and down right stiff since it got so cold. We are to get a storm tomorrow so it's also barometric pressure too.

My natural joints are affected by the cold and damp but I don't know if the weather can affect an artifical body part. I don't see how it could, but what do I know.

I don't remember my hip getting twitchy in cold weather.

Does your replaced joint hurt in the cold?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does The Cold Bother Your Knee Replacement?

Yes.  We keep our house at 55 at night.  My three year old knee occasionally protests. We have three blankets on top of my flannel nightgown.  Much more discomfort and I'm thinking of getting out a heating pad. I think a hip has more insulation. By the way, I am eternally grateful I had this done after much pain for a few months.  So be patient.  

Honored Contributor

I was an accurate weather forecaster prior to my knee replacements, but surgery took all those sensations away.

I have no aches or pains in my knees.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No but it really doesn't get cold enough here in Arizona. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   No. My knee replacements never ache.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but I live on the Gulf Coast - warm winters.  I just took the garbage out in short sleeves, very nice outside. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

It will eventually go away.  Will probably take a year or more for you to practically forget about having surgery on it.

Honored Contributor

My replaced knee doesn't bother me...its just everything else that hurts  It's so dry here that on the occasion of a rainy/snowy day, I really feel the dampness.  Heaven forbid if I still.lived in Houston!

We got 4" of snow yesterday from the storm that's approaching you @CrazyKittyLvr2  and I was achey.  NE part of our state had winds of 70mph

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   "Warmish" here........so I went out and pulled weeds.......I know I'm gonna feel THAT tomorrow (!!)   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My friend who had her knee replacement shortly after I had mine,  recently asked the same thing. She said when it's very cold outside, her tkr is achy and not as limber.  We did a Google search and on a couple of sites we found what you and my friend are experiencing is not uncommon for the first 2 or 3 years after TKR because the natural bone is growing and adjusting to the replacement and that leads to sensitivity to weather changes.  I found that on a couple of sites.  I wouldn't worry about it but if you are concerned or if the pain is significant, reach out to the surgeon's office.  It's ironic, my knee is fine in cold weather.  It's all my other muscles and joints that don't work well in the cold.  But that's a story for another day......