Respected Contributor

Does Anybody Have an IBS Success Story?

I have IBS without diarrhea.  I've just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy--both negative.  I still wake up at about 4 a.m. with cramps and can't go back to sleep.

I know this syndrome is hard to treat.  Has anyone had success with any specific treatments or life-style changes?

Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anybody Have an IBS Success Story?

I have IBS/D (I think they call it now). 

It pretty much ruined my life for awhile.  It comes and goes with me now, unlike earlier where it was all day, every day.

Do the cramps wake you or are you already awake?  It is unusual to have disturbances in sleep, as our GI tracts are in a resting phase while we sleep.  That was the only respite I had.  The minute I opened my eyes, it started, but sleep was never interrupted.

Wonder about antispasmodic medications.  I have the opposite of your symptoms, but have certainly had pain and cramping. 

I wonder now since you are assured you have nothing (disease wise) if you will feel better.  Mine started when I was under extreme stress.  Is that an issue for you?

Certainly wish you well.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

@fortune I have had intestinal issues for 20 years.  I have seen at least three family practitioners and five gastroenterologists.  They don't know what the problem is.  I've had every test and all organs have been tested.  They have prescribed every medication available.  The one thing that has helped me is Whole30.  You can find out what is entailed in the book, "It Starts With Food."  It has helped me more than any medication or recommendation.  Please check it out.  I wish you the best.  You may have to change your idea of healthy foods.  If I can help, please let me know.

Honored Contributor

@fortune

Have you tried marshmallow root extract?

Respected Contributor

Google Xifaxin for IBS. It was just FDA approved for IBS. I don't have it, but have other issues. My doc was involved in clinical trials and it performed very well. Be prepared, it is super expensive. 

Respected Contributor

Have you heard of "Benefiber?"  My GI doctor recommended it to me several years ago and it has been a great help in cutting down on the cramping and D.

I order my Benefiber from Amazon.  It is a fine white powder that does not have a taste or a smell and it mixes completely in any liquid and it does not clump.  I take two t. a day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the discomfort and pain from IBS in your lower abdomen? I'm hoping to get the results today from a cat scan I had Thursday afternoon to try find out what is going on with me. My gastroenterologist sent me for it. It's been about 6 weeks now that I've been having this. Twice I've gone about 4 days where it went away but it comes back and and haunts me sometimes all day long, other days I wake up about 4:00am with it and it goes away later in the day, Sometimes it's just one side of the lower abdomen, other times all across it.  I just never know. I've about had it! I'm anxious to know the results but at the same time afraid to know. No diarrhea, just the nagging pain. Kind of feels as if I've got loads of gas that I can't get rid of.

Respected Contributor

I take the metamucil caplets (generic at Sam's) as advised by doctor, it's not completely gone but much improved, it's a tough situation, good luck

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

I have IBS without diarrhea.  I've just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy--both negative.  I still wake up at about 4 a.m. with cramps and can't go back to sleep.

I know this syndrome is hard to treat.  Has anyone had success with any specific treatments or life-style changes?

Lactose intolerance has the same symptoms.  Try avoiding dairy for a while or take Lactaid tabs before eating anything dairy.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Is the discomfort and pain from IBS in your lower abdomen? I'm hoping to get the results today from a cat scan I had Thursday afternoon to try find out what is going on with me. My gastroenterologist sent me for it. It's been about 6 weeks now that I've been having this. Twice I've gone about 4 days where it went away but it comes back and and haunts me sometimes all day long, other days I wake up about 4:00am with it and it goes away later in the day, Sometimes it's just one side of the lower abdomen, other times all across it.  I just never know. I've about had it! I'm anxious to know the results but at the same time afraid to know. No diarrhea, just the nagging pain. Kind of feels as if I've got loads of gas that I can't get rid of.

I'm quite sure your doc is checking for diverticulosis.  Lower left abdomen is the most common place to find this.  I had diverticulitis five times (that's when it gets infected) before I finally opted to have a colon resection.  They took six inches out and I haven't had a problem since. 

I hope that is not what you have but if you do, it's good to know it's treatable.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986