Honored Contributor

I have to find a new doctor again. Mine is opening his own practice but not excepting Insurance.

His practice will be Direct Primary Care. One on one with the patient so he can say what he needs to his patients. No Ins hoops etc.

You have to pay $75 per month to be a member. You get unlimited office visitis, phone calls, texts etc. $25 extra if you want in home visit.

They work with you to get a good Ins plan with a higher deductible which would be used if you end up in the hosptial.

He has set up with labs, hospitals etc for lower price tests plus lower price medications. Not sure how much any of that would cost since it's all new.

If I did not have good Ins. at the moment I would switch over to this.

If he's still excepting patients when we retire & move to Medicare I will see if he's still taking new patients if we don't move.

You can still use your Medicare outside of his practice to pay for things.

Honored Contributor

Does he have a relative doctor near me?  That is fantastic!  My sister and her family would jump all over that and me too.  $75 a month?  My insurance premiums are double that and I have to insure myself for over $6000 before it even exists.  

Esteemed Contributor

My friend, who lives in the San Francisco suburbs, has a primary care physician who works under similar rules. My friend has plenty of money and she wanted to have a primary care physician who guaranteed call-backs and/or office visits within 24 hours. Our health care system, like our infrastructure and our politics, is completely broken. There will be innovative ways to work within our loony health care system, but they are often loony, and expensive. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Does he have a relative doctor near me?  That is fantastic!  My sister and her family would jump all over that and me too.  $75 a month?  My insurance premiums are double that and I have to insure myself for over $6000 before it even exists.  

@Laura14, my premium will be over $800/month and a $6700 deductible.  The fear of a catastrophe is the only thing keeping me buying insurance.  I would jump all over that deal if I liked the doctor.  

Respected Contributor

This is very interesting.  I wonder how he is doing this with the high cost of malpractice insurance?  When you become a "member" are you giving up your rights to sue?

Respected Contributor

Terrific deal. My md stopped taking Medicare and almost all insurance. My last, very last visit was $450 without any tests.

Another of my primary care mds wants $1800 a year to be a “concierge” md. Would do that (I have multiple health issues) but he is not a great doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14

I know he has a brother that lives here which is a Pharmacist.

I'm thinking if it goes over well for him which I think it will more doctor's will move his direction.

Before they changed out our plan I had to pay the office visits until the deductible was paid which it never was. I was paying $90 to $125 per visit. Now it's $25 or $30 not sure since I have not used it yet. Our deductible is only $250 now.

We have been lucky so far we have not had to pay out a lot on medical bills.

I have had 2 surgeries. First one I paid 0 out of pocket except for prescriptions. Second one I had to pay some Co-Pays but was not out thousands of dollars.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My friend, who lives in the San Francisco suburbs, has a primary care physician who works under similar rules. My friend has plenty of money and she wanted to have a primary care physician who guaranteed call-backs and/or office visits within 24 hours. Our health care system, like our infrastructure and our politics, is completely broken. There will be innovative ways to work within our loony health care system, but they are often loony, and expensive. 

@Vivian

That's the way he set this up. You will get same day or next day appt if needed. I could not believe he's even doing house calls or hospital visits for an extra $25.

I could see me doing this face to face using my computer.

Most of the things I have seen a doctor for could be done this way.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

This is very interesting.  I wonder how he is doing this with the high cost of malpractice insurance?  When you become a "member" are you giving up your rights to sue?

@Travone

I found his website online & read the FAQ's. I did not read anything about the right to Sue. I'm sure you would find that out when you sign up? Never thought of that.

I thought I would get more feedback about other doctor's already doing this.

Honored Contributor

This is a new model of  care that many doctors are moving to.

We have a few practices like this in my area.

I like the idea, but I don't have any issues that requires me to sign up.  But if I did, I might.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN