Honored Contributor

Re: Doctors Underprescribing Pain Meds

[ Edited ]

I rarely use prescription painkillers since they never work for me. Aleve (naproxen sodium works) for me. One dr had me go to the pharmacy for a prescription for pain and the bottle had only one pain pill in it...one! The pharmacist said that’s all he had prescribed. When I was in the hospital for a month 6 yrs ago, the dr and nurses always said " stay ahead of the pain" or don't wait until you are in pain to take a painkiller....it's up to drs to know their patients and they should be able to give a script for what they need....I am so sorry OP is having to deal with so much pain and having trouble finding relief.

Esteemed Contributor

In their zest to solve a problem, things have gone to another extreme.

For moderate/severe chronic degenerative osteoarthritic pain or postoperative pain, NSAIDs carry their own dangers--and not to just the liver and kidneys. I was prescribed them until they drilled two significant ulcers in my GI tract that will never completely heal, precluding that I can't take so much as an Advil for the rest of my life.

Honored Contributor

In late 2019, my doc sent me to pain management doc (PMD)

PMD sent me home with a prescription for physical therapy, instructions to try hot and cold compresses (to see which works best) twice a day, use lidocaine patches, take Tylenol and remain active.

Hurt like hell - but they all work (cold compresses were best).  Stll have pain - but it's manageable.

Regular Contributor

I am the OP and just want to give an update.  My physical therapist said he thinks I have a torn rotator cuff because after 2 months of PT I am still unable to lift my arm higher than my waist.  I called the doctor and said I wanted an MRI and he agreed and also now suspects a torn rotator cuff. If he hadn't agreed, I was going to find another doctor which isn't really easy because we live in a rural area and there aren't an abundance of orthopedic surgeons nearby.  I was fortunate to get scheduled for the MRI quickly because they had a cancellation so I am scheduled for next week otherwise it would have been at least a month wait.  I just want an answer because my breaks have healed but I still have very limited movement in my arm.  I really appreciate all the comments from everyone.  Thank you all.

Honored Contributor

I blame the drug industry for this mess, not the doctors. Google Sackler family, the owners of Purdue Pharma.  They are totally disgusting rich people who are responsible for hundreds of deaths.  

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I blame the drug industry for this mess, not the doctors. Google Sackler family, the owners of Purdue Pharma.  They are totally disgusting rich people who are responsible for hundreds of deaths.  

I agree the industry caused a lot of these issues,  but the government has to monitor not only Doctors over prescribing but pharmacys.  There was something on 60 minutes last year showing a small pharnacy in West Virginia that had prescribed millions of pills. The government needs to do a better job of monitoring this. 

I get kidney stones maybe every 3 to 5 years.  The last time I went to the ER,  I had a total blockage and was in extreme pain,  but they wouldn't give me anything until the Catscan confirmed a very large kidney store.  It's too bad that those of us that occasionally can't get paid meds when needed.  

Monitor doctors and pharmacys that are over prescribing and deal with the issue. 

Respected Contributor

@evergreen wrote:

I recently dislocated and broke my shoulder in two places.  I am seeing the same orthopedic surgeon who replaced my other shoulder about 8 years ago.  At that time I was prescribed adequate pain meds and had no problem.  This time I have been in daily pain and find physical therapy excruciatiing.  When I called for a refill I was prescibed 8 pills and told to take Tylenol and Advil which don't help at all.  I am a senior citizen and resent the fact that I have to pay for the fact that some people abused their meds and now doctors seem to be afraid to prescribe what is needed.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a subject that gets under my skin and makes me see red, since I'm in a similar situation. God forbid that someone gets adequate pain relief from opiods when nothing else helps.

This is a MEDICAL issue, not a political one, and the government shouldn't try to practice medicine since it's totally unqualified. Leave that to the doctors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wanted to mention that I think doctors also have prescribed drugs like Ativan (Lorazapam) to help with pain.  They are the Benzodiazepine family of drugs. I know they are really cracking down on that drug and even trying to get people off of them totally......even those who don't take it for pain.  It is known to help with pain but also it's highly addictive. 

Trusted Contributor

CBD has been a bust for me with no results except for it helps me sleep better. I'm now trying fish oil and turmeric for pain since I can get no other help. 

Honored Contributor

Twenty years ago I was diagnosed with scleroderma and with that came a lot of pain. My doc prescribed gabapentin for the severe nerve pain I was experiencing plus he told me to take aspirin as an anti-inflammatory. 

Today I'm no longer taking those meds. But when I look back on my situation during the onset of my scleroderma, I'm grateful to the doctor who didn't prescribe opiates for my pain.