Regular Contributor

Doctors Underprescribing Pain Meds

I recently dislocated and broke my shoulder in two places.  I am seeing the same orthopedic surgeon who replaced my other shoulder about 8 years ago.  At that time I was prescribed adequate pain meds and had no problem.  This time I have been in daily pain and find physical therapy excruciatiing.  When I called for a refill I was prescibed 8 pills and told to take Tylenol and Advil which don't help at all.  I am a senior citizen and resent the fact that I have to pay for the fact that some people abused their meds and now doctors seem to be afraid to prescribe what is needed.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Doctors Underprescribing Pain Meds

Yes, I think most doctors are very afraid to prescribe narcotic painkillers due to fear of prosecution.

This has been going on for years.

When you are left in pain you feel like you are treated like an animal left to suffer.

Yet I am sure that if doctors undergo surgery etc., they make sure to give themselves  adequate pain medication!

Nurses always tell you that pain inhibits healing and not to wait until it gets very painful but take it round the clock before it becomes excrutiating.

However, if there is nothing to take that really helps, this advice doesn't apply.

and tylenol really any otc doesn't touch excrutiating pain.

I'm really sorry that you are going thru this.

Another reason I don't ever want to have surgery again. I've learned to deal with pain pretty well without pain medication, and take aleve or something if bad but in cases of severe injury or surgery I might just have to say cut it off and be done with it!😫 

I really hate this tendency to leave patients in severe pain.

I also wish there was pain medication that didn't make you nauseated, feel wierd, or not work,

but I don't think we have that yet.

Again I'm so sorry. I think if you can, you should address your doctor again and tell him what kind of pain you are really going thru, reminding him that being in this much pain does not help you to heal!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Ouch.  You and I have a similar surgical history, @evergreen.  Rehabbing from a shoulder surgery can be excruciating.  I was instructed to alternate an RX pain med with ibuprofen or Tylenol this last time.  I hope you feel better soon and that you are able to sleep okay.

Honored Contributor

I don't see a problem prescribing narcotic pain meds temporarily for severe pain, but don't know how long it takes to become addicted; which might be the problem.  

Your doctor can stop prescribing it for you, but addicted patients will just go elsewhere and get it.  

Ibuprofen is better than Tylenol.  Here is the recommended dosage as long as you don't have a liver or kidney condition.  Can be found online.  

200 to 400 mg orally every 4 to 6 hours as needed
Maximum dose: 3200 mg/day (prescription strength).  1200 mgs/day (over the counter).

I'd ask your doctor if you can take the prescription strength.  If he says no, show him the recommended safe dosage.  Don't take on an empty stomach.   

Esteemed Contributor

DH has been on an narcotic pain reliever for 12 years.  There has been no change in dose and he has never abused it.He absolutely needs it to go about his daily tasks.  Here in AZ there has been more and more pressure on prescribing doctor.  Last year in order to keep his present dose he had to go to pain management.  It has helped him reduce Hydrocodone because they give Morphine at bedtime and when he gets up.  They test his grind mthly to insure he isn't abusing it and that he isn't at a dangerous toxic level.  We understand this and strictly adhere to it but pain management is a "pain".

Trusted Contributor

You can attribute this madness to the"War on Drugs" which is really a war against pain control. Those who want illicit drugs will always get them inspite of the law, meanwhile those in chronic pain get the shaft. Honestly I would tell them you aren't going to persist with therapy unless you can get the pain under better control. Celebrex for artheritis pain is still available. 

Honored Contributor

When I was 18 I fractured 3 vertebrae.  I was young and, although I still had pain throughout my life, it was manageable.

March of last year I broke my other vertebra, in a very difficult to manage area.

The Dr had to break it again where it had started healing incorrectly, fill the vertebra with cement ( using 2 size Mallets) and a chisel.

I’ve been taking pain meds off and on for a long time.

In fact when I got both knees replaced a few years ago, the Dr who replaced my knees, had my back Dr control my pain meds.

I guess I’m lucky because my PA and Dr understands I’m in tremendous pain all of the time, some days more than others.

I agree that it’s ridiculous at the thought that a person in their 70’s .....well I’m trying to say....

Our bodies take much longer to heal.  There are times when the pain never goes away.

It’s a case where people are suffering and paying the price because some people have addiction problems.

My Dr explainedthe difference between an addict and someone who takes the medicine to control the pain.

I hope the OP and other’s here are able to make these Drs understand the pain medicine will improve their quality of life.

As we all get older we recognize how true the saying, “The quality of life is perhaps as or more important than the quantity of life”

is.

😀👌

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@evergreen    I am so sorry.  Doctors are under scrutiny regarding opioid prescriptions and, as a result, have cut way back.  It leaves those in unacceptable pain to manage on their own.  And yes, this is the result of those who abuse and medical institutions that limit the ability of their MDs to assist due to federal regulations.  Even pharmacists have been ask to complete forms regarding those using pain meds. 

I'm wishing you the best health possible. Perhaps you can change MDs and have a different result.  I do concur with @on the bay.  My heart is with you and others on this board who so bravely face pain on a daily basis and show up here with kindness, a sense of humor,  and concern for others.  

Respected Contributor

@evergreen wrote:

I recently dislocated and broke my shoulder in two places.  I am seeing the same orthopedic surgeon who replaced my other shoulder about 8 years ago.  At that time I was prescribed adequate pain meds and had no problem.  This time I have been in daily pain and find physical therapy excruciatiing.  When I called for a refill I was prescibed 8 pills and told to take Tylenol and Advil which don't help at all.  I am a senior citizen and resent the fact that I have to pay for the fact that some people abused their meds and now doctors seem to be afraid to prescribe what is needed.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  

I am so sorry that you are in constant pain. Both of my brothers-in-law are doctors. They treat their patients as individuals with varying needs for pain management. Unfortunately, some physicians seem to have a generalized routine of either repeatedly renewing prescriptions at a patient's request or, on the other hand, limiting addictive meds. Doctors want to give their patients what they want but they also don*t want to be sued or arrested for allegedly enabling the misuse of certain drugs. Can you get an appointment so you can talk to the doctor in person? 

Honored Contributor

The ones WANTING it for illicit reasons will find it. You, who NEED painkillers aren't being prescribed them. That is incredibly unfair.