Honored Contributor

Re: Doctor with unsatisfactory service

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666    Considering the things that have happened the past few days, I think you should have taken yourself to the emergency room long before now.  I think you're not taking very good care of yourself.  You could be having or have had a heart attack.

@Kachina624   

ITA .....  what would the MD do over the phone, anyway? 

It's up to @PuppyLoverBob666  to use the common sense God gave him/her and get seen either at the MD's office or the ER.

To claim the MD isn't taking care of him/her is ludicrous.  Good grief.

Honored Contributor

Well, @PuppyLoverBob666 you were right....posters were hard on you for not going to ER.  My question would be....why would an MD have to "think about it" if you are having chest pains.  Just to CYA, why wouldn't the MD tell you to go to Emergency if he/she didn't have the time to see you.  Hope you are well and you have followed through with a course of action.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you were the patient the doctor was with, would you want to be disturbed in the middle of your appointment so they could take a phone call from another patient?

And yes, you should have gone to the emergency room with the symptoms you were experiencing.

Honored Contributor

How did you tell the doctor's it was urgent? If you weren't clear, they will handle calls in the order received. Doctors are busy and get a lot of calls. It might take time to get back to you.

If you need urgent help, call to see if the dr had a cancellation or go to the ER. Just don't tie up ER if not necessary.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99   I do hope the reason OP was not advised to head to the ER immediately is that she did not state the exact nature of her symptoms.

I think the phone message of every doctor I call starts with "if this is an emergency, hang up and call 911".  If OP's set of symptoms wasn't an emergency, what would be?

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 ---I had a cardiologist like that---so I fired him and found me another really good dr. Also my primary dr brushed me off last year too--was having some really concerning issues with my meds and instead of steering to the right people to help me, she literally ignored me. Haven't been back to her and found another primry dr.  

and by the way---the heavy rock feeling and the jaw pain-----that is nothing to fool around with!!!

Honored Contributor

I am sorry this happened to you @PuppyLoverBob666 . I hope you have found relief of some kind by now. 

I had a bad appointment a few weeks ago at my annual. My experience has been that they are overworked and not supported within the medical system today so they whip us in and out with the bare necessities and without remembering we are people just like they are. Very important to advocate for yourself these days. 

Some insurers have nurse hotlines that you might have attached to yours. I have no idea if Medicare has one if you are of that age group but I would venture to say there is one available somewhere to everyone. Don;t be afraid to google one or call your insurance company and and ask for the number.  My insurer also participates in doctor on demand so it may be worth having a quick at home consult too if you can.      

Esteemed Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 

Were I "tripping and falling down a flight of stairs and falling a few other times". Plus "feel like I have a heavy rock on my chest"? I would have been in the ER within the same hour.

Don't know your transportation situation, but if you have none, call an ambulance service. No scolding from me. You recognize your problem with your doctor, what you do about it, is obviously up to you.

Good luck,

hckynut    🇺🇸  🇺🇦

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666I'm sorry for your troubles, but your doctor's in-office patients are not "french fries" either, and an out-of-office patient shouldn't be pushed ahead of them when there's something she can do for herself first -- like calling 911 or a neighbor who might be able to get her to urgent care.  If you choose another doctor, expect to be treated the same way.

Valued Contributor

To those of you who have scolded me: you're right. IF this ever happens again I'll get my toochas to the nearest ER. I'm in my 70's and should know better.