Honored Contributor

Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@pegsue 

Don’t know what your insurance status is, but I thought Medicare required an annual physical.

I like to explore my options before making decisions.  As someone else said, I would keep the appointment, if you are offered one, and check them out.

Meanwhile, I would talk with friends about their providers, and follow-up with anyone who has a positive recommendation.

While uncomfortable, and surprising to you, nothing they have done is out of line with SBP.

Medicare doesn't "require" an annual physical @Drythe , it only says you are "eligible" for one.

@GingerPeach 

Thanks,

If I remember, the annual exam is a benchmark Medicare uses as a measurement to see if the physician's practice is meeting it's MC standards for participation.  

But, you are right, it's not a requirement on the patient!  Assuring that his/her practice meets compliance is a burden of the MD.  Catching illnesses early & minimizing hospitalization is a cost savings initiative.

My intent was, the new Doc. may be removing patients who don't help him meet the standard.  The old Doc might not have worried about it.

Nope, no dragging the patients in by force!

Sorry to run on.

Bye Bye

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you for explaining what you were getting at, @Drythe 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Don't cut your nose to spite your face if you're happy with your medical care there just because you're offended by what you were told.  In my area, it's generally 3 years lapse, then you're considered a "new patient" as I recently found out.  I would talk to the Admin in the practice and use the 1.5 years of pandemic as the reason you haven't gone for an exam.  I haven't either during all this time for that reason.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Drythe 

I wouldn't bother my doctor in his retirement, but no I don't know anyone.  

I would imagine the woman I am trying to get in with has a full roster.

The group I go to is fine, I would just like to go to a woman, but have no problem at all with this doctor.

@ECBG 

No, I would never bother anyone who had retired either.  

Unfortunately, I see several MD's.  

I mentioned to one I have known for years that I was going to need a new GYN when mine retired.

She said I see XXX, I said I wanted her, but she's full.  Turns out my doctor is a patient of the woman I wanted to see.  My doctor called her, and asked if she would take me in as a patient.

She did!  Now if it were only more fun!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

Thank you my Dear.

I did call again today after reading your post.  I told the lady that answered the phone in the office how ugly the woman had been on the "new patient " line.  She said that line is "off site".

I'm ok, I'll just keep calling them.  I DID tell her this was a 3 year ordeal.

My former MD will likely keep going to the group he and his best friend started and both retired from.

Honored Contributor

I have agreed with many of the opinions expressed here, but also feel this is a poor way to be introduced to the workings of your medical office.   

If a doctor has prescribed a daily medication, they MUST see you on a regular basis for follow up care.   My doctor and I established that my 87 year old mother will see him 2x a year, and I will see him 3x a year for routine health care needs.  

Doctors must follow strict guidelines to receive their payments from insurance companies and Medicare.   Reimbursement is tied to many key points of patient care, so meeting those compliance issues are very important to the doctor, and the office in general.   Therefore, doctors cannot afford to carry a large percentage of patients who are not seen on a regular basis.   

Super Contributor

Simple answer: if three years has passed since you were last seen, you are no longer considered a patient of the practice. You will be considered a new patient, and for some practices that means being screened before being offered an appointment.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can understand why some people shied away from doctor's offices last year. But, there are consequences to every decision.

A lot of areas are having a shortage of doctors. 

What if, as you are  "shopping around" for a new doctor, you find that either (A) you don't mesh with them, or (B) they won't take you on as a patient?

By "you", I mean you in the general, broad sense of the word. Not you in the specific.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@pegsue 

Don’t know what your insurance status is, but I thought Medicare required an annual physical.

I like to explore my options before making decisions.  As someone else said, I would keep the appointment, if you are offered one, and check them out.

Meanwhile, I would talk with friends about their providers, and follow-up with anyone who has a positive recommendation.

While uncomfortable, and surprising to you, nothing they have done is out of line with SBP.

Medicare doesn't "require" an annual physical @Drythe , it only says you are "eligible" for one.

@GingerPeach  Medicare does not pay for an annual physical.  What Medicare does pay for is a Wellness Exam.  They are two different things and if you are being given an annual physical that's being paid for by Medicare it's being coded as something different.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@pegsue 

@GingerPeach  Medicare does not pay for an annual physical.  What Medicare does pay for is a Wellness Exam.  They are two different things and if you are being given an annual physical that's being paid for by Medicare it's being coded as something different.

Yes, I know. I was simply using the terminology in the posts above.

Thank you, @CelticCrafter 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.