Regular Contributor

Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

Not sure how I feel about this....I've been a patient at a family practice for YEARS, as well as my children-youngest is now 26 to put things into perspective.  I would see a specific doc there as well as the NPs and PAs.  The doc has since left but I still continued to see the NPs and PAs.  Well I called yesterday to schedule a regular exam and was told I was no longer a patient there as my last visit was 2018 and I would have to give them some information and they would then decide if I would be accepted back!   The questions were basically confirming my address, health insurance info, asked if I was coming for a workers comp injury, if I have any back problems and if I'm on any medication and do I take any antidepressants.  I gave them all the info and told them I only take a hormone patch and multivitamins/supplements.

First-I feel like the last year 1/2 is basically a wash due to this virus.  I was able to go to my OBGYN appt for my yearly check ups-I felt comfortable doing that since those usually don't have a waiting room full of sick people.  Not to mention I don't get sick often and I don't run to the doctor every single time I don't feel good.  

I was told I would know either way in 24-48 hours.  I am kind of offended by this-I don't feel like it's really been that long, especially under the current circumstances, I've been a long time patient there, have good heatlh insurance and have always paid whatever I owe immediately after the insurance pays.  

What do you think?  I told hubby and he felt the same way I do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

First alot of practices are considering pt's who have not been seen in one year   as new patients. Many Primary Care Physicians practices  balance how many Medicare patients they take on. Another factor is that many practices are sensitive abt patients who are on controlled subsatnces for  chronic pain issues .  Workman comp cases  can cost practices more money to fill out forms ect .

The info  that this practice  asked you are routine questions.

Respected Contributor

@pegsue I agree that saying you are not a patient was unsettling. My suggestion would be to play both ends against the middle. If they do accept you, go in for your appointment and get the treatment, prescriptions you need. If you like the new staff and arrangements then all is well. If you are unhappy, start looking for another doctor. Be aware, in some areas of the country, many doctors are not accepting new patients. If there is a shortage of available physicians in your area, you will have the option of getting on their wait list but continuing treatment from the first doctor.

Honored Contributor

@pegsue  I think you should talk to the office manager and ask for their rationale for doing this. Maybe there is a good reason. After she or he explains, express how you feel as you've expressed here.. If you weren't satisfied with their rationale, I'd find another doctor.

Contributor

I would probably feel some kind of way about the situation also. However, perhaps they have done you a favor. Since your regular physician no longer is affiliated anyway, now may be a good time to consider making different provider choices! You retake control of your medical care and choose who provides you service! Good luck and stay well❣

Respected Contributor

Could it be that they are just checking to see if your insurance is still in their network? If you are coming in for a worker's comp claim they may not be able to handle this.They don't know unless they ask.   I went back to my primary care group after staying away for a couple of years. I was treated as a new patient. They had my records but I had to update everything. I wouldn't be too upset these are most likely routine questions.

Honored Contributor

I think you should put aside your feelings and look at the facts such as what are your other options for a physician, and wait and see what their answer is.

Medicine is not what it used to be and most of us don't have a lot of options any more about who we see, pills we take and treatments.

If you do, you are lucky!  

Valued Contributor

@pegsue 

I would feel offended as well.  It just doesn't seem right to me.  It seems there is not much you can do about these new guidelines.  I hope everything turns out in your best interest.

Respected Contributor

The healthcare system that runs my PCP's office has the same policy - if you're not seen at least once every 12 months, you're dropped as a patient. In theory, I can see that it less than gently encourages people to keep up with their preventative care. In practice, it can become cumbersome.  My upcoming annual visit had to be rescheduled due to a change in my PCP's schedule. No problem, but the appointment that they "assigned" me didn't work for me. When they found a date that worked, I was outside the 12 month window and the system wouldn't let them schedule it. They had to get a manager to do a bunch of over rides to the system. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I feel they have every right to refuse you as their patient. You haven't been there sinse 2018? 3 years? We all should be having yearly appointments.

"Pure Michigan"