Regular Contributor

Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

ECBG - yes, I recently heard about concierge doctors...my boss has one.  I figured it was expensive and no way could I afford that but he can, he's an attorney and he is very wealthy.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for all of the replies.  There were a few of them that really seemed snarky and judgemental-maybe that's just how I interpreted them?  Anyway I am still waiting for the doctor's office reply but coincidentally I got a flyer in the mail today about another doctors' practice reaching out for new patients and I am familiar with them as my hubby is a patient there, he's happy with them, so that may just be the answer.  Maybe it is time to move on as some of you others did. I did not know they were taking new patients.

To answer a question, clear up some things-yes, the same NPs and PAs are the same ones that I saw prior.  Also, years ago I worked for a practice that had 4 doctors and while we had patients who would go elsewhere we still kept their charts in storage and always accepted them back.  Those doctors would have been very upset if we said anything about not being considered a patient.  I know times have changed.  And for those who wondered, no I am not on Medicare, at least not for awhile, lol.   Also my doctor that left is actually an urgent care doctor over in the next state.  He lives in the town a few miles from me and we see each other every now and then and he says that he left the practice due to the changes being made in how the office was going to be run and it was not the way he practiced medicine.  

Again thanks for all of the perspectives and have a great evening!

Honored Contributor

The primary that I went to for over 25 years was all about tests & prescribing meds.  He had gotten more extreme (to me) over the years so I finally decided it was time for me to move on.  

After a lot of research I found someone who I like a lot, however he is older (early 70s) and I'm afraid he might retire soon.  Last time I went he had hired a PA who I saw and was sort of like the doctor that I had left.  

I decided to try out a local integrative MD.  She's expensive but I loved how she spent a lot of time with me (an hour!) and made me feel better about a lot of things.  I felt that she really addressed many of my concerns.  

Integrative doctors practice both traditional and holistic medicine.  They are free to do a lot more since they don't have to follow the insurance company rules but they also don't take insurance.  I realize they aren't for everyone but it is a different option.

Regular Contributor

You can take this opportunity to find a new physician somewhere else.  My doctor's office considers you not to be a patient of theirs if you haven't been seen in a year, certainly 3 years is way out of bounds.  Reason being is that if you come in, they will have to spend extra time with you finding out your health status for the past 3 years, ordering tests, etc.  as they would have to with a brand-new person to their practice.  Also, if you have ANY chronic condition and haven't seen a doctor in 3 years, by default you'd be considered someone who doesn't care for their health.

When you find a new physician, ask them how long without a visit it would be before you are dropped.

Super Contributor

These doctor clinics, especially with medical professional shortages, need to plan for the capacity of their clinics.  If you haven't been there in three years, why should they just assume you are still a patient, especially when everyone should be getting an annual checkup.  They have to make sure that they can service all of their patients.  I think you are taking this very personally, when it was your choice not to get any medical care for THREE YEARS!

Honored Contributor

I got dumped by a dentist years ago because I had skipped a cleaning.  I foolishly listened to a Crest ad that said their toothpaste was so good you didn't have to floss.  So I stretched that out a bit and when I finally did show up the new hygienist had to work extra hard.  Whatever.  I'm very happy where I am now.  

Honored Contributor

@pegsue 

Did you hear back from the medical office?  What's the latest?  

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

The primary that I went to for over 25 years was all about tests & prescribing meds.  He had gotten more extreme (to me) over the years so I finally decided it was time for me to move on.  

After a lot of research I found someone who I like a lot, however he is older (early 70s) and I'm afraid he might retire soon.  Last time I went he had hired a PA who I saw and was sort of like the doctor that I had left.  

I decided to try out a local integrative MD.  She's expensive but I loved how she spent a lot of time with me (an hour!) and made me feel better about a lot of things.  I felt that she really addressed many of my concerns.  

Integrative doctors practice both traditional and holistic medicine.  They are free to do a lot more since they don't have to follow the insurance company rules but they also don't take insurance.  I realize they aren't for everyone but it is a different option.

This is the same type clinic I go to.  The practitioner spends around 45 minutes to an hour.  I am never rushed.  They are holistic and traditional.  They do bone scans, breast thermograms, nutritional IV, blood draws, plus many more services.  I have always had to pay out of pocket as they do not take insurance.  I feel like I am getting great care.  I know this isn't for everyone, but it works for me.  I am glad you found something like this, @haddon9 .

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@pegsue    I never heard of anything like you described.  However, I see my doctor a few times a year.  Annual physical paid for fully by insurance and usually follow up appts.  I really, really like my doctor.  She is smart and has a wonderful personality.  Good luck.  Maybe it's time for a change and maybe you should see the doctor at least once a year.

kindness is strength
Occasional Contributor

I've worked for a hospital for over 2 decades and spent several years interacting with local physician offices as a part of that employment. Some (not all certainly) practices exist to get you in and rack up every possible billing charge they can. Especially those that have lab and radiology in house. By you having the temerity of being well and likely concerned over the last year about being in a confined area like a doc office during COVID, you haven't added to their piggy bank so now you get the attitude. Never fear, there are good primary care providers out there, it's just getting harder to find them because 1) many of the good are retiring and 2) the younger physicians are drawn to speciality medicine as Primary care doesn't have the reputation of pulling in the bucks. Good luck with your journey to find the right healthcare provider!