Honored Contributor

d Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

[ Edited ]

I had a routine Doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I have gone to this same Doctor for over 25 years. Lately our appointments have been a bit rushed. I asked my Doctor and he said the practice has over 20,000 patients. 

There are 6 Doctors listed on their forms but I have never seen more than 2 Doctors ever in the offices. I don't think that at least 2 Doctors see patients anymore.

I can see why the practice I go to want to pare down their patient roll.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

Because of family history, I get an upper GI endoscopy every 2-3 years. After the last one, my gastroenterologist told me to come back in three years. However, when the three years were up I called to schedule an appointment and was told that I had not been in for over two years so I was no longer a patient. I hit the ceiling, trying to explain the three-year instruction. Finally, I told them to have the doctor call me. At least they allowed me that call, as if I were arrested and got that one phone call. Anyway the doctor did call me and it was straightened out but I thought the initial response was really shabby.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: d Re: Doctor office to decide if they will keep me as a patient?

I know that a friend  had abn blood work  abt 3 yrs ago and was referred   back to a Hematologist  that she had  been evaluated  by before . Well,  her PCP was a Johns Hopkins Provider  and the Hematologist was a Johns Hopkins provider , so all was within the same healthcare system  that she had been a patient patient of for  close to 30+ years . She had not seen that Hematologist  for a couple of years  because  there was no clinical need to do so.  She called for an appointment with the  same Hematologist  who evaluated her  previously  and she was told she was being considered as a new patient . She was told  to call  for an appointment  with the specific  Hematology clinic  Fellow   in 3 months  .  Her need for a Hematology evaluation was to rule out cancer .

Well, she was extremely disappointed , however she  did  call back and finally secured an appointment after 3 months . While she waited the 3 months , she  made an appointment with a local Hematologist  to obtain a speedy  evaluation and have  additional  diagnostics completed before  her appointment at Johns Hopkins .

Our  Health care systems are over burdened . The US does not have  programs as do other countries to encourage and support  people pursuing  medical degrees .

Many Doctors  have retired  , many closed medical practices due to increased cost of operating  an independent practice.  Corporations own  medical practices now a days  which is why  you are only provided ab t 10-15 mins with your Doctor .

It's gotten like a car wash , get in and out fast .

Honored Contributor

I think the office will keep only its most profitable patients.  I hope you're one of the lucky ones!

Honored Contributor

@pegsue wrote:

Not sure how I feel about this....I've been a patient at a family practice for YEARS, as well as my children-youngest is now 26 to put things into perspective.  I would see a specific doc there as well as the NPs and PAs.  The doc has since left but I still continued to see the NPs and PAs.  Well I called yesterday to schedule a regular exam and was told I was no longer a patient there as my last visit was 2018 and I would have to give them some information and they would then decide if I would be accepted back!   The questions were basically confirming my address, health insurance info, asked if I was coming for a workers comp injury, if I have any back problems and if I'm on any medication and do I take any antidepressants.  I gave them all the info and told them I only take a hormone patch and multivitamins/supplements.

First-I feel like the last year 1/2 is basically a wash due to this virus.  I was able to go to my OBGYN appt for my yearly check ups-I felt comfortable doing that since those usually don't have a waiting room full of sick people.  Not to mention I don't get sick often and I don't run to the doctor every single time I don't feel good.  

I was told I would know either way in 24-48 hours.  I am kind of offended by this-I don't feel like it's really been that long, especially under the current circumstances, I've been a long time patient there, have good heatlh insurance and have always paid whatever I owe immediately after the insurance pays.  

What do you think?  I told hubby and he felt the same way I do.

@pegsue 

I don't understand your confusion ... or what you mean by "basically a wash".   

When was the last time you actually saw a DOCTOR at that office?   Not having been there since 2018, and the doctor you did see is long gone,  I can see why you are in the inactive group, or they assumed you found another doctor.  I am betting that your previous doc's patients were long ago assigned to other physicians. 

I am guessing that they need to see if any other doctor there is willing to take you on after all this time.  I have noticed that people who only show up now and then and are not getting regular checkups can be problematic.  It's too difficult to monitor the health of these people and provide good healthcare.

Most practices won't take just anyone off the street, and what you did many years ago may have no bearing on the current situation.   

Since you obviously have no pressing medical needs, and don't feel you need to be seen regularly, if you need to find another practice, so be it.   Medical practices have a great many challenges, and their policies are there for a reason.   

Esteemed Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I had to call 3 different offices just to get a bad flare up of a dermatology problem looked at. Struck gold the 3rd place, got an appointment for the next day. Maybe because it's a group rather thanjust one or two Drs in the office. First two places...no new patients. 

My appt. turned out to be with an APRN which was fine by me. Sometimes they're more attentive and caring than a doctor. 

Valued Contributor

Complain to your insurance company.

Regular Contributor

Tinkrbl44-First of all the last year and a half was a wash because of the virus as I stated.  It's self explanatory.  While my doctor was with the practice I saw the NPs and PAs most of the time anyway.  After he left that practice was without a doctor unfortunately for quite some time and I still treated there.  And for you to say that people who show up now and then are problematic...maybe those problematic people could also be called heatlhy?..did you not read where I did see my OBGYN every year, who does exams although not complete, but does take BP, does yearly blood tests, etc.  So it's not like I wasn't seen by anyone the past 3 years-geesh.  Anyway-I asked for opinions here, thanks for yours.  Have a good day.

Honored Contributor

@pegsue 

Don’t know what your insurance status is, but I thought Medicare required an annual physical.

I like to explore my options before making decisions.  As someone else said, I would keep the appointment, if you are offered one, and check them out.

Meanwhile, I would talk with friends about their providers, and follow-up with anyone who has a positive recommendation.

While uncomfortable, and surprising to you, nothing they have done is out of line with SBP.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

My doctor considers someone a new patient if they haven't been seen within 3 years and would have to be accepted again just as your doctor's practice is doing.