Honored Contributor

A complicated and interesting subject.

I have PURCHASED the services of doctors who have been brusque and short, and helped me to feel better, and doctors who were brusque and short, and helped me not one bit. 

If I’ve given a doctor (or medicine or therapeutic technique or lifestyle) a fair shot in both time and instituting personal recommendations, and found h/h advice unhelpful, I’ve changed physicians.

Medical care is part skill, part art. So is dry cleaning, plumbing, and learning to play th xylophone. I don’t PAYfor a service that doesn’t perform the specific skills I require of it.

Honored Contributor

Pain isn't a laughing matter.  I'm sure when he asked the question, it was to not only see how you're doing, but he hasn't yet experienced the pain you have.  Saw a show the other day when a doctor asked a patient a question and they said, you really don't want to know do you?  The doctor said, right, the answer doesn't really help me.  He hadn't experienced the pain himself, so he couldn't relate truthfully.  I'll bet it hit your doc as funny but only because he felt awkward.  I'm sure there's nothing in their medical books that says doorknob, and yet we can only explain how it feels to us.  Poor doctors, try, but alas, they only can do so much.  Sometimes, we feel like Guenna pigs as a result.  Give the shots a chance (doing both knees for me, and that pain is bad too).  Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree   You know what, I'll bet the office ladies loved it!!! Even the bank people who touched the check.  He knows he's a jerk.

Honored Contributor

I hope the injection worked and gave you some relief.  I would give the doctor another chance.  He probably just found humor in your description as it was someting he had never heard before and it was not that he found your condition and pain humorous.  If, after a second visit, you find him to be offensive and not sympathetic to your feelings and condition, then I would find another doctor. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@LilacTree   You know what, I'll bet the office ladies loved it!!! Even the bank people who touched the check.  He knows he's a jerk.

@qualitygal 

what a great response! I laughed like hell!

Thank you, QG for making my morning!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@lulu1 

Nah . . . Not really.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I like some levity when I am with a doctor.

Early after I was diagnosed with MBC, I said to my oncologist, " I guess I probably won't live to be 90, will i?"

He looked at me in horror thinking I might not be getting what my diagnosis meant. I smiled and giggled and it opened up a very good, honest conversation about what I might expect going forward.