Honored Contributor

Ortho docs have no empathy at all. Just recently went to one for a long bone pain I had in my right thigh. He reached out and grabbed my thigh and proceeded to mock me for no muscle mass.  I am 81 and have had rheumatoid for 17 years, not to mention a broken hip on the same side. He then told me pain was all in my head and I should get an exercise bike and use it every day. He was as sarcastic as hell.

I wanted to smack him right in the face. Instead I said to my daughter, “let’s go” and he scurried out of the exam room ahead of us like a scared squirrel and ran down the hallway.

When I sent the check I wrote “Horrible doctor [name]” in the notes section, not that I think they would ever see it or care if they did.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

Ortho docs have no empathy at all. Just recently went to one for a long bone pain I had in my right thigh. He reached out and grabbed my thigh and proceeded to mock me for no muscle mass.  I am 81 and have had rheumatoid for 17 years, not to mention a broken hip on the same side. He then told me pain was all in my head and I should get an exercise bike and use it every day. He was as sarcastic as hell.

I wanted to smack him right in the face. Instead I said to my daughter, “let’s go” and he scurried out of the exam room ahead of us like a scared squirrel and ran down the hallway.

When I sent the check I wrote “Horrible doctor [name]” in the notes section, not that I think they would ever see it or care if they did.  

I am the wife of a recently retired, empathetic, orthopedic surgeon.

You seem to have a terrible time with almost all your doctors.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

You seem to have a terrible time with almost your doctors.

For the record, @lulu1, my orthopedic surgeon is a warm, compassionate man.

Respected Contributor

I guess I have been very fortunate with my docs over the years...they have all been compassionate, caring people. I enjoy those who have a great sense of humor.  

We are are fortunate to have the excellent care that we have.  

Honored Contributor

Some, not all, Drs. are jerks. My primary is one of them, and that is a fairly widely held opinion. I’m a pretty low maintenance patient, and too lazy to look for another Dr. It is what it is, I keep hoping he will retire.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@lulu1 

i am the daughter of an orthopedic surgeon AND for a while i worked in his office. he was a caring, dedicated doctor who worked 6 - 7 days a week, most of those days were 12 hours long. he spent more time with his patients than he did with his family. it isnt easy being a doctor, especially these days, where they get very little respect unfortunately.

to make this statement..... Ortho docs have no empathy at all......is just totally wrong and sad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@lulu1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@lulu1 

i am the daughter of an orthopedic surgeon AND for a while i worked in his office. he was a caring, dedicated doctor who worked 6 - 7 days a week, most of those days were 12 hours long. he spent more time with his patients than he did with his family. it isnt easy being a doctor, especially these days, where they get very little respect unfortunately.

to make this statement..... Ortho docs have no empathy at all......is just totally wrong and sad.

"to make this statement..... Ortho docs have no empathy at all......is just totally wrong and sad."

And inaccurate. 

Some doctors are compassionate; some are jerks. 

It's always been that way. I don't understand labeling one entire specialty as having no empathy.

I come from a family full of doctors.

Also, doctors have to be somewhat detached. If they became emotionally involved with every single patient, the doctors would burn out very quickly. 

Respected Contributor

It does not matter what type of doctor it is, if you do not feel safe, comfortable, and believe you are not really being listened to, you should not go back.

When a doctor uses the words it is all in your head, that is when I get up and walk out.  He has to do many evaluations before making such a remark, and if he really believes it is part of the difficulty you are experiencing, it should be said in a better manner, not one that is offensive, and with reason.  It would be better said that he could not find anything wrong and it may be a personal issues happenings that is affecting you, and he can not treat you.

When anyone feels pain, and is hurting, it is real, very real to them, and it is help and comfort they are seeking.  Having support helps with healing, indicating you are nuts is not helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

I  went to an orthopedic doctor recently due to pain in my right hip.  He proceeded to ask my symptoms and I said it felt like I was sleeping on a doorknob. The "doctor" laughed and asked if he could use that  because it was too funny . Needless to say bursitis is not a laughing matter to me, plus I have bulging discs and have had 2 operations on my tailbone.  His assistant put a large joint injection in my hip and said come back, I replied not hardly.   Was I wrong or just in too much pain??????

@Boomernichols I chuckled to myself because I have that pain as well, though not as severe.  When I lay on my side, it very well could be a doorknob under my hip!  Give the doctor a break.  They probably don't get too laugh too often at work.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

@lulu1and all others who had something nice to say about ortho docs....

I have to agree with you. I am 4 months out from a TKR which I had put off for way too many years. My orthopedic surgeon is wonderful....never talks down to me and has just the right amount of compassion.  I can joke with him and I feel he is 100% honest all the time. My only fear now is that he will leave the practice by the time I have my second knee done next year.

😀 

Reggie