Honored Contributor

When you don't feel well, sometimes it makes a person extra sensitive. I would give them another chance if you feel his treatment has helped you

I honestly don't think he meant any harm. I would give him another try, and you might feel differently about him

Respected Contributor

Im sorry youre in such pain. I am sure the Dr laughed only at the description.  Better than my Dr who has zero sense of humor!

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols 

That's a hard call to make re returning to that doc.  However, I do understand the insult.

I went for my quarterly visit to my migraine neuro and on this particular visit he asked, "How's your brain tumor doing?"  So NOT funny, since I have chronic migraine and am now on year 35 of the same darn migraine headache.  I was so angry at what he asked I was dumbfounded.  At my next visit, I gave him a piece of my mind, intelliegently, and he apologized, big time.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

I  went to an orthopedic doctor recently due to pain in my right hip.  He proceeded to ask my symptoms and I said it felt like I was sleeping on a doorknob. The "doctor" laughed and asked if he could use that  because it was too funny . Needless to say bursitis is not a laughing matter to me, plus I have bulging discs and have had 2 operations on my tailbone.  His assistant put a large joint injection in my hip and said come back, I replied not hardly.   Was I wrong or just in too much pain??????

@Boomernichols   Sorry you have paid and yes, it can make one cranky.  I don't think you were wrong-just not a happy camper at the moment.  That is understandable.

I don't think your doctor was out of line but only you can decide to return.  I take it you are getting a series of injections and I've had those, too.

I wouldn't worry about it-do what you think is best for your health and let the rest go.

It happened and now it's over. 

I wish you all the best.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I'd much rather have a doc with a pleasant manner and sense of humor than a nasty, bossy doc who acts like you're wasting their time and there are plenty of those to go around.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

I'd much rather have a doc with a pleasant manner and sense of humor than a nasty, bossy doc who acts like you're wasting their time and there are plenty of those to go around.

Or is rude & condescending & won't let you speak, or talks over you & cuts you off when you actually manage to say something. THEN the medication that he wants you to take has very serious side effects, some of them potentially fatal. When you express concern about the side effects, you're told that they're not real, then told "take it, don't take it, I really don't care." As you might imagine, I only saw this "doctor" once. I requested the results of the one test that he'd ordered & am currently looking for a new doctor. 

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30,

I’d think you were talking about my former doctor if you were in southern WV.  

We parted ways when the last medication he wanted me to take listed 2 types of cancer in the first 2 lines of possible side effects!   I walked out saying “we’re done”.   

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry to read that you took offense to his humor. I do not believe there was any malintent on his part.I would much prefer a doctor with a sense of humor, than an old grump that is past retirement and bitter at the world 😉 I pray that you find comfort from your pain.

Spoiler
Spoiler

~~~All we need is love💖

Trusted Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@sgraham30,

I’d think you were talking about my former doctor if you were in southern WV.  

We parted ways when the last medication he wanted me to take listed 2 types of cancer in the first 2 lines of possible side effects!   I walked out saying “we’re done”.   

@RedTop, did yours also tell you that the side effects aren't real? I just looked at him when he said that, then I asked him then why do so many of the drug websites list the side effects, as well as patients who have actually taken the medication. (askapatient.com) He just looked at me & shrugged his shoulders. The medication in question has a black box warning, the side effects are so bad. 

I'm angry that I'll be paying a 25% coinsurance rate to be treated like dirt by him, but there's nothing I can do about it. He's a big shot at the hospital that he's at, I wouldn't be listened to if I filed a complaint. The people I spoke to who know him think he does no wrong. 

All I can do is move on from this jerk, & hopefully find someone better.

Honored Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

It is great you were able to describe your pain so clearly. It’s hard for drs to figure out what’s going on when a patient is unable to let them know the symptoms clearly. I am sure you were the patient-of-the-day for him! I do know that when I am in pain I tend to lose my sense of humor though; he prob should have been more sensitive to that.