Respected Contributor

I  went to an orthopedic doctor recently due to pain in my right hip.  He proceeded to ask my symptoms and I said it felt like I was sleeping on a doorknob. The "doctor" laughed and asked if he could use that  because it was too funny . Needless to say bursitis is not a laughing matter to me, plus I have bulging discs and have had 2 operations on my tailbone.  His assistant put a large joint injection in my hip and said come back, I replied not hardly.   Was I wrong or just in too much pain??????

Esteemed Contributor

I would give him another chance.  Sometimes laughter is the best medicine.  Sorry about your pain. Hope you are well soon.

Honored Contributor

I guess the question is why aren't you going back?  Because the doctor laughed at your description or because the injection didn't work?

I see nothing wrong with him laughing at your description.  Sounds like he had never heard it described that way before.  Doesn't mean he was making light of your pain.  

Respected Contributor

He was laughing at your description, not at your pain.  I don't see an issue to be concerned about.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

I  went to an orthopedic doctor recently due to pain in my right hip.  He proceeded to ask my symptoms and I said it felt like I was sleeping on a doorknob. The "doctor" laughed and asked if he could use that  because it was too funny . Needless to say bursitis is not a laughing matter to me, plus I have bulging discs and have had 2 operations on my tailbone.  His assistant put a large joint injection in my hip and said come back, I replied not hardly.   Was I wrong or just in too much pain??????

You were too sensitive and cranky. The doctor was trying to be nice and share a laugh with you. He was serious about your needs and he was trying to lighten the mood to help. Too serious of an atmosphere can cause patients to be worried.

Valued Contributor

Pain can change a person.  Follow up with their office for this injection.  See what it like when you are (hopefully) in less pain.  

I hope you have comfort coming your way. 

Honored Contributor

Personally, I like a doctor who is down to Earth, personable and can make a joke.  He was laughing at your description, not your pain.  I have lower back issues, I can't sleep on my back and I can actually relate to that "sleeping on a door knob".  If the joint injection gave you some relief, why wouldn't you go back?  Pain makes most of us cranky, it's hard to think beyond the pain so I can understand how you felt.

Honored Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

I think he was just trying to lighten the mood and establish   bit of a rapport with you, not offensive in the least.  And if the shot helps you, be very grateful and go back. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Doctor laughed out loud

[ Edited ]

I laughed at your description, not at your pain. I’m sure the doctor was doing the same. You have to admit that the visual is pretty funny. 

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols  You are/were in pain....and also probably are a sensitive person( as I am also.   I personally would have felt a taken back myself if a doctor laughed at my discription of the pain I was in.  Good bedside  manner is everything in a doctor...... But sadly not all doctors have that.  

My orthopedic surgeon is one of the top docs in the county....so I put aside my not really caring for his personality( bedside manner) because I wanted HIS SKILL MORE.