Contributor

Re: Doctor appointment anxiety

I had my yearly appointment just last Friday. I am 75 and in good health. The nurse took my blood pressure at the beginning of the exam. It was about 20 points higher than normal. At the end of the time spent with the doctor, the doctor took my blood pressure again and it was 20 points lower, more like my normal number. You may want to try that. I have heard it's not unusual for the number to be higher in anticipation of the doctor appointment. Wishing you well.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Take your blood pressure machine to the doctors office with you. Let him take your blood pressure with your machine and then with his machine. If they match yours is working properly. My friend takes a very, very small dose of something(not sure what) to calm her nerves. Talk to your doctor about it. If it helps, I have the same problem, many people do. Your doctor should be sympathetic to your situation, if not move on.

@Janey2 

This is true if the machine at the doctor's office is correct? When DH went to the Dr. they said his BP was 180 over 100+. I started laughing when he told me that. I said yes because their machine does not work.

Same happened to me. When the nurse checks it herself it's ok. The machine they have that does it all itself does not work.

DH has been taking his at home day/night with pretty much the same readings. Mine was 127/77 this morning. DH's is running 138 over 84 or so. Not high enough to warrant BP meds.

Honored Contributor

Same happens to me after driving to their office I'm shaking. LOL!!! 

They need to let you sit with your feet flat on floor while you do some breathing in your mouth & out your nose so you can relax about 5 mins before they take it.

Also if they try taking it again after you have seen the Dr. & had time to relax they may find that helps. It does with me.

I just don't like being at the doctor's office & am so nervous.

All you can do is try to relax.  

Respected Contributor

Me, too!  It really frustrates me and I can't seem to stop my BP from going up when I feel anxious at the doctor - ugh...

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid if I did not have a "good" appt. I would get punished . So to this day I have a lot of anxiety.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

When I was a kid if I did not have a "good" appt. I would get punished . So to this day I have a lot of anxiety.

Omg @Group 5 minus 1 ....how heinous.   I'm sorry you went through that, 😢

Honored Contributor

It depends on the size of the blood pressure monitor's cup that they are using.

From experience when taking elderly folks to the doc.  If the cuff is too big, the B/P is way off.  Either too low or too high.  Usually when an assistant took it.

I used to bring my monitor and take the person's B/P several times in the waiting room.  Right on target.  And when the doc took it, again, right on target.  Matched my readings.

The smaller cup is more accurate on senior's smaller arm size.  It seems to work better.  From my experiences.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Btw, my normal B/P is around 107/70, and at the doc's office, taken by an assistant, it's always 122 over something.  (They're so fast, and in a hurry.......I'm wondering what theirs is.........said in a nice, humorous way.)

I'm suggesting that we should take our own at home, when sitting and not in a hurry.  Not after a heavy meal.

Write down each of the readings for a month,  and bring the list into the doc's office.

That usually works.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I agree about nurses/aides being in a hurry. I need to calm myself. 🤪
Respected Contributor

@mac116 wrote:
I need some advice about dealing with anxiety before doctor appointments. I have been prescribed a glucose monitor because my blood sugar comes in at around 140 when taken at clinic. Checking every single day at home , it ranges from 95-110. Same with blood pressure. High in the clinic, low-average at home using doctor recommended BP cuff. My doctor is skeptical about at home readings.
I am already tense about an appointment in 2 weeks. Any advice???

@mac116 

Are you afraid of contracting Covid-19 at the doctor's office?  I haven't gone to the doctor's since the pandemic began.  If someone has the virus, they would go to the doctor's.  That's why I stay home.  Is it absolutely necessary that you have an in office visit?  My doctor trys to get me to come in so he can get paid.  I'm finding a new doctor after I get vaccinated for Covid.