Respected Contributor

Re: Doctor appointment anxiety

I've always had that problem too.  Now, there's an added anxiety as I get older about something being picked up on the annual testing that requires me to come right back in, or be referred to another doctor.  Dang.  There are no breathing exercises that work for me.  LOL  It's just a miracle I have always gone for checkups.  Hang in there!!!  It could be a lot worse if something serious wasn't caught early.  Ugh.

Trusted Contributor

I am not afraid of getting Covid at the clinic.  I have gone for blood tests, and everything seems to be clean and safe.  I keep all of my appointments, eat healthy, and try to get in some exercise.  

I grew up in a home where going to the doctor was feared.  My parents would "trick" me into going to the doctor, because they thought that I would be terrified.  (I wasn't terrified, but they were!)  I know that this sounds crazy.

Now that I am older, I am getting all of this anxiety that they projected to me all of those years ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The “white coat” syndrome is common. My drs always take my bp twice. Once when I first go into the exam room and then again after I have been in the room awhile....my bp is always lower on the second reading.  Several nurses have told me they always do the bp measurement twice. I would ask your dr to do the same if they don’t already do it. Take your BP monitor with you to your next dr appt.  and see if it is calibrated with the one in the dr office. I have had two drs ask me to bring mine in and both times the readings were the same as the one in the office....that way we knew my at-home bp readings were accurate.