Trusted Contributor
I need some advice about dealing with anxiety before doctor appointments. I have been prescribed a glucose monitor because my blood sugar comes in at around 140 when taken at clinic. Checking every single day at home , it ranges from 95-110. Same with blood pressure. High in the clinic, low-average at home using doctor recommended BP cuff. My doctor is skeptical about at home readings.
I am already tense about an appointment in 2 weeks. Any advice???
Super Contributor

Re: Doctor appointment anxiety

I'm sorry you have so much anxiety! Slow, deep breathing might help. Also, visualizing the appointment going well can make it happen, as strange as that may sound. I am a nervous wreck whenever I have to speak in front of a crowd, and these techniques help me. 

If that doesn't help, I wonder if your doctor could actually prescribe a mild sedative? Our dentist has done that for my son. You would need someone else to drive you to/from the appointment, though. 

Respected Contributor

Save your readings and show them to your doctor.

Valued Contributor

@mac116 

I understand your anxiety as I typically experience "white coat syndrome" prior to medical appointments. What has helped me a bit was a suggestion from my Other Half - to realize that my doctor is there to help me and not to hurt me. Keeping that thought in my mind has eased my stress a smidge. All the best to you!

Super Contributor

I've heard that readings in a doctors office, especially blood pressure can be elevated.   Would a friend be able to go with you?  or a family member? Your not alone, alot of people have a hard time with doctors appointments.  It can be scarey and stressful and your doctor should be able to help with this anxiety, I would mention this to him/her.  They should listen and provide support as well.    I am sure your doing the best for your home readings, and it's good your going to make sure you stay healthy, 

Honored Contributor

@mac116   Can you try square breathing....breathe in for four seconds and out for four seconds, repeat.

Respected Contributor

@mac116 

Three weeks before my appt ( on person or video ) I fax to my doctor all my readings.

I take them for both right and left arms, for AM and PM so she can see any difference.  I record any special activity that could influence higher readings....salty food, upset at news, etc.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It’s not uncommon for blood pressure to be elevated at a doctor visit. I’m wondering if the difference in blood sugar is fasting(in the morning) vs non fasting at the office? 

Honored Contributor

I also experience anxiety before a doctor appointment.  Usually it affects my blood pressure when in the office as a result.  My doctor is well aware of my stress and understands. If your numbers were good with the at home monitoring  it could be a case of a medical phobia.  I have been this way since I was a child and while it is a little better, the anxiety is always there.  

I can relate.  Doctors do not always understand or do not believe you.. My doctor does understand.  Talk to the doctor and explain, I was told to see a therapist many years ago but I didn't.  Maybe I should have.

I hope you can resolve this problem.  While I have stress and anxiety over seeing doctors, having tests, hospitals I know for my health and well being I must go.  To ignore would be worse. I had to learn that.

Respected Contributor

Take your blood pressure machine to the doctors office with you. Let him take your blood pressure with your machine and then with his machine. If they match yours is working properly. My friend takes a very, very small dose of something(not sure what) to calm her nerves. Talk to your doctor about it. If it helps, I have the same problem, many people do. Your doctor should be sympathetic to your situation, if not move on.