Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you want to live to be 100?

Sure, why not?

Respected Contributor

My dad lives across the hall from a guy in independent living that is 101, he gets around better than half the residents at this independent living, if I could take care of myself, maybe.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I guess living to be 100 can be great if you have exceptionally good health, but who has that at that age?  

@Tinkrbl44  My mother who will be 100 this year.  All of her siblings lived to be at least 105, all in good health.

On my paternal side, most live to at least 95 on average in good health.  My father died at 91.

It's in the genes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure. The hardest part of a long life is  saying goodbye to so many loved ones. I'm 65 and have lost my daughter, my husband, 5 siblings and many dear friends. Although my health is good, there's no one left to reminiscse with about the past. It can get a bit lonely when you can't share memories with someone who was there.

Honored Contributor

Though I am not one who likes to think about death, I don't think I would want to live until 100.  Maybe because you see your elders in their upper years and how fast things seem to go downhill.   There are some who maintain their health but most people that I've known seem to become ill or start to have quite a difficult time of it in their 80's.  All in all, like others said, I'd like to be here until I can no longer care for myself.......I don't want to be a burden on my children.

Respected Contributor

No

Honored Contributor

If I continue to be blessed with good health, yes.

If I am in pain or sick, have cognitive problems or a burden to anyone, no.  I also don't want to outlive my children.

My 86 year old friend in senior care has a 94 year old roommate who reads books everyday, keeps up by watching the news and is well versed on what is going on in the world.

She sees and hears well and shows no remarkable signs of aging except she has problems with walking too far.  She also could pass for age 75 easily.

I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it to 100 and beyond.

Super Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

Emphatically NO !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

If you are reasonably independent, have your facilities, the older you get the older you want to be!