Honored Contributor

When my kids were in school, I worked from 8-12 noon.  When I got home, the office attire came off and the comfy clothes on and I would ZONK OUT. 

I had to set the timer on the stove to go pick up the kids at 2:30 or so.

Never affected my bedtime sleep.

Now that I'm not working, I don't take naps.  I sleep as late as I want and go to bed around midnite.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

If so, what time and how long do you nap.  I have never never been able to sleep during the day but would like to.  My legs keep me awake some nights.  Any pointers? 

How does it affect you on the days you don't get to nap?  OK or difficult?  

Do you have RLS?  I think I have it sometimes at night only.  Never in bed though.  If I'm reclining I can tell.  If I were sitting at a kitchen table it wouldn't happen.

I go to bed though, the only way to get rid of it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

If so, what time and how long do you nap.  I have never never been able to sleep during the day but would like to.  My legs keep me awake some nights.  Any pointers? 

How does it affect you on the days you don't get to nap?  OK or difficult?  

Do you have RLS?  I think I have it sometimes at night only.  Never in bed though.  If I'm reclining I can tell.  If I were sitting at a kitchen table it wouldn't happen.

I go to bed though, the only way to get rid of it!

No, I don't have RLS.  It is a pain in the outside of the left thigh.  Can't explain it.  Like a phantom pain, it hurts, where?  It just hurts.

I read on the net that when you sleep your muscles and tendons relax and can let a

joint slip just enough to "pinch".  Make any sense.  It is not the joint and does not hurt to walk.  It just hurts, 9/10 of the time it wakes me up at night, then it will stop, just as quickly as it started hurting.  My doctor has no explanation.  Next stop, an Orthopedist!

Glad you have found some relief.  Thanks for your input.

Honored Contributor

I only nap when my immune system takes a major hit like it has for over 3 months now.

There is no reason why I can't (I haven't worked since I was young) my children are grown, but my head goes around and around.

There are many, many famous people who do take naps.  They say they do their best work after naping.

I'm all for it.  My mother would fall asleep on a dime and 10=15 minutes later she'd be back in the conversation never missing a beat!

When I do nap I don't feel bad afterwards.  Some people do.

Super Contributor

I have that same kind of pain on my left leg at night, and I don't know the cause. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

Have you tried Magnesium supplements?

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

The only time I can sleep or nap during the day is when I am very ill. I can't sleep at night if I take naps.

OMGosh KonaKat.  I was just going to type the SAME thing before I saw your post.  !! ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I work all day and if I came home and napped, I'd never sleep at night.  I don't sleep now very well at night!

Sometimes on the weekend if I have nothing going on and it's a lazy kind of day, I will doze off while watching something on tv.

I have a couple of friends who take serious naps.  One gets home from work around 4 and actually goes upstairs, in her bed, under the covers and sleeps for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Then she gets up and makes dinner.  Another friend of mine doesn't get home from work until later, naps, then gets up. Problem is she's up half the night.  Even on the weekends she will go back to the bed in the middle of the day and sleep for a few hours.      

Honored Contributor

Sat. and Sun. afternoons from about 1:30 to 2:30 if I am home. 

This past Sat. I was not home and my body did not require it but Sun. I was home and just like clock work finish lunch and read one page from my book and out I go.

I love those weekend naps.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Before retirement, I found weekend naps were heaven--right around 4PM was my magic time. And now that I'm fully retired, I still love naps, but it depends on my schedule & activity level on any given day. 4 PM still seems to be the time that I head for bed, cover up with my fuzzy fleece blanket, turn out the lights, close the blinds, and head off to the land of nod. I'm usually out for about an hour, and no, it doesn't affect my sleep that night. Sometimes, if I haven't gotten a nap that day, I will settle down after the dinner dishes are done and shut my eyes for a while while sitting in my comfy chair in the living room, but I only consider if an official "nap" if I'm in bed.