Honored Contributor

My naps need to be longer, or like others, I awake more tired and crabby than before.  I like to think of it as catching up on the sleep I didn't get during the workweek.

I usually nap between 2-4 on Saturdays/Sundays, if I can.  Heaven!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take a nap?

[ Edited ]

No. If I did that my sleep cycle would be all messed up. I would not be able to go to sleep when I go to bed at night if I took a nap. I sleep at least 8 hrs every night.

Respected Contributor

Started about a years ago - about the time I turned 80.  Still got up about 6:00 in the morning, fed the pup and let him outside for some "quality" time. Feed DH and me, and clean up the kitchen. Then it's back to bed for a nice long nap - at least an hour and a half.  

Not to sound like a nap fanatic, but it's not unusual for me to visit the mattress again about 2;00 - this time for half an hour or so.  Then it's time to get up and make dinner.  Bedtime comes early at our house. Love those naps.

Honored Contributor

I do not need a nap to get me thru the day.  I go to bed around 11:15, fall asleep immediately, and sleep like a bear until 8:00.   The last nap I took during the day was 3 years ago when I was recovering from knee replacement.  

My husband is the King of napping during the day, and then complains about his nighttime sleep.   His napping issue is partly due to his neuropathy meds, and also a habit he got into 5 years ago after he lost his job.    

I trained my body many years ago to sleep when I get in bed.  My bedroom is very dark and cool.  The only light is the overhead ceiling light, and the lights in the bathroom.  There is no TV, radio, or alarm clock.  My body knows that when I get in bed and flip on my stomach, it is time to sleep, and it does, without fail.   

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE to take a nap but find I don't take them as much as I used to.

A few years ago I started taking medicine for my slow thyroid and my napping started to decrease.

On my non-work days I would tend to take them around 3 pm. The People's Court is on, I recline in the Lazy Boy, and a cat or two parks on my tummy. Then I'd doze off for about 30 - 45 minutes. It still happens but not nearly as much. I kinda miss my naps. What hasn't changed is cats using my tummy for their mattress while they take their afternoon nap!

Respected Contributor

If I'm  sleepy and have time, I will set an alarm for 20 or 30 minutes and I wake up refreshed. If I go into a deeper sleep I wake up groggy and can't sleep at night. 

Honored Contributor

Another one  who when i am over tired i take a nap..some times it happens with out even my  thinking about it..lol!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Frequent Contributor

If I'm napping I'm sick. I've tried really hard to nap and my mind just won't let me fall asleep. I'm thinking of all the things I could be doing instead of wasting my time sleeping. I love to do a lot of things or my mind is going over the events of the day or the week and I'm having these word conversations in my head. I take melatonin at night and I love that "I can't keep my eyes open" feeling and I fall right asleep. Otherwise I could read till six in the morning. I'm just not a napper. 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your replies.  I never have taken naps but I am gonna give it a try!  Wish me luck!

Valued Contributor

I do, although more so in the winter months than the summer.  I hit the sofa in the family room, pull a quilt up over myself and settle in.  I can sleep anytime, anywhere and for how ever long I want to and it doesn't affect my sleep at night.

I am nothing if not a champion sleeper...

Maria