Respected Contributor

I have been on Eliquis for 5 years.... last week CVS informed me they have none in stock..so it's been four days and still nothing.... There are several more CVS in town they don't have any either.......

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

@Trailrun23  Yes, I do and have for past three years due to dx of afib. I am a state employee so my prescription plan grabs most of the cost. I pay 50$ for a 90 day supply which is 180 pills.  When I retire, I will take that insurance with me as my supplemental at same rate and same coverage as if I were employed. Grateful about that. 

I think if I wasn't so fortunate, I would definitely check into getting it from Canada. 

@bmorechick 

Are state retirees not required to go on Medicare after they are 65? If not, why is that, and is it by State or Federal Law.

I was allowed to keep my same Insurer when I retired, but!  When I turned 65 I was required to have Medicare as my Primary Medical Insurance Provider. My company, for a few years, paid most of my supplemental, secondary insurance, but I had no option to refuse Medicare.

I knew those that hold political offices have some gratuitous things provided to them after a certain number of years. I however did not know that regular, unelected, or appointed staff, was entitled to the same benefits as those voted into office, or appointed by an Executive of the State.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I am still employed and I can delay signing up for Medicare until after I retire.  Yes, when I do retire I will use Medicare as my primary and my current health plan as my supplement. My husband also is on my plan and has been for all 40 years of marriage, so his benefit will continue.  The plan coverage as the supplement will be the same.  That is why I chose state government employment 48 years ago. I was 18 years old and long term benefits didn't mean a thing to me, but my dad encouraged me to stay with the state because when I was "old and unemployable" as he put it, I would be set.  I understand many states allow their state employees to continue their health coverage as a supplement when they retire. Our premiums come directly out of our pension checks.

Honored Contributor

Tell him if he has a stroke and dies, it will be suicide and you will donate his body to science.  If he doesn't die, you will stash him in the worst nursing home you can find and wash your hands of him.  He isn't stubborn.  He's selfish.

Trusted Contributor

@sann wrote:

I have been on Eliquis for 5 years.... last week CVS informed me they have none in stock..so it's been four days and still nothing.... There are several more CVS in town they don't have any either.......

I had the same experience a few months ago.  I live in a smallish town and use Walgreen's.  They were running low of Eliquis but was able to give me a week's supply until they received their next shipment.  They said the other pharmacies in our town were running out, also.  

When this happened, I felt like I was living in a 3rd world country.  What's next?  Scary feeling not to be able to get the meds you need.  And I feel so sorry for those who simply cannot afford them even if they are available.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you take Eliquis?

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue 

I have a sizable list of prescription meds, all of which are the generic versions. All of my prescribing doctors told me they were all safe for me to use in lieu their Brand name.

I looked up what meds are on the Shortage List, it did not show Eliquis. Maybe a regional situation?

After my other post in  this thread, I found out the FDA approved the making of the Generic for Eliquis in 2019, but!  Seems Bristol-Myers and Phizer have lawsuits against the company given the ok by the FDA.

In my opinion, BIG PHARMA is more the reason for med shortages, than the ingredients needed to keep pace with the demand. They would rather have their high profits be more important than the patients need for their drug. 

Seems like I read years ago that Major Drug Companies had a 10 year patent on their meds. After that, other companies were legally able to produce their generic. But then? Come the years long court battles.

Who loses in the interim? The patients, of course, it's always BIG $$$$ before lives!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

DH..has been on Eliquis since 2017..Hopefully there will be a generic in the next few years...He complains it's so expensive..I tell him he's worth it!!

Last week I filled his 3 month supply at Walgreens in my tiny town..no problem

Valued Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

DH was prescribed Eliquis last week....twice a day to hopefully reduce his risk of stroke. It is $525. He says he won't take it, too expensive. He is way too stubborn. 

Ask if he'd prefer being in debt to being dead.

Esteemed Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@Trailrun23 wrote:

DH was prescribed Eliquis last week....twice a day to hopefully reduce his risk of stroke. It is $525. He says he won't take it, too expensive. He is way too stubborn. 

Ask if he'd prefer being in debt to being dead.

@PuppyLoverBob666 

Did you know that everyone that has a stroke does not die? Some end up worse, in my opinion, for both themselves and whomever ends up being their caretaker.

Know several in my different circles that have had strokes, and they are not clinically dead. Some have lost much of their brain function, thus different parts of their anatomy, do not function.

Some can end up paraplegic, very little physical function, including speaking. I could go on, but I will leave it here. 

Years ago a co-workers reason for not being concerned about doing everything possible to destroy his body! He would tell me: "I have done everything I want, so if I die! No big deal".

My words back to him: " But Rosie, everyone that has a heart attack or stroke doesn't die, then what"?  He was not married and had no kids, but he had his momma.

More words of wisdom from me to Rosie: "Your mother had to feed you/clean you/dress you once already.

Now you are going to put her through that work again"? 

Ole Rosie ended up with Lung Cancer and not a quick death, after I had retired. He was younger than me, I retired when I was 52. I really felt sorry for his mother, because co-workers told me, I pretty much predicted his future. 

A 100% true story about my co-worker Rosie.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Yes, my husband takes it 2x day.  He has A FIB.  It is ridiculously expensive.

Every year it has gone up...never down. The last two years he is in the donut hole earlier and earlier in the year.

We do not qualify for financial assistance.

Anyone with a Medicare drug plan, whether included in your advantage plan or bought as a stand alone don't qualify for financial assistance from the drug companies, which IMO is BS.  They are the very people that probably need the help with costs.