Honored Contributor

I know a few who take it, but is paid for most of it on their RX plan.

Honored Contributor

His other much cheaper alternative is Coumadin, and no one wants to be on that, outdated and horrible!!

Esteemed Contributor

I took Eliquis for 3 years for Afib. Cardiologist then switched me to 1 adult aspirin a day.  No problems so far.  Eliquis is ridiculously expensive.  Don't get me started.  Tell your husband the cost of caring for a stroke victim is astronomical.  Do you have insurance or a Medicare supplement?   But even with that it was so expensive but I don't like the alternative.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband takes it 2x day.  He has A FIB.  It is ridiculously expensive.

Every year it has gone up...never down. The last two years he is in the donut hole earlier and earlier in the year.

We do not qualify for financial assistance.

Super Contributor

I have been taking Eliquis for 6 months.  My cardiologist took me off the daily aspirin.  I have AFIB which could cause a blood clot which could lead to a stoke.  My perscription plan pays for most of the cost of the Eliquis and my co-pay is reasonable.  I would be willing to pay much more for this drug  to minimize the chance of my having a debilitating  stoke.  As someone already suggested, see if your doctor has samples to give your husband.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Canadian pharmacy.  2 months is $72.00.  Very easy to deal with. Just get written Rex from your Dr and mail it to them. Takes about 2 week turn around time. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you take Eliquis?

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 Google the eliquis website. You can apply for a 30 day trial. It is free for 30 days!! It was over $500 with Medicare and supplemental plan!

There are other programs too.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 

No I do not. I was on blood thinners for over 7 years starting after my 1st bout with Pulmonary Embolism(PE) in 2002. I was on Coumadin(Warfarin)until about 2010. 

Since I had also had 2nd bout with PE, along with 2 heart attacks, Eliquis was/is not a prescription I would take for either. Should I ever need to take a blood thinner again, it would be Coumadin/Warfarin, as in the past.

There has been a Generic available for Eliquis since 2019. You might ask the prescribing doctor to go the Generic route, if he feels they would be the same for your DH.

I had several good acquaintances of mine, all men, that died because they chose to quit taking their prescription meds, for either Heart Attack or Stroke. Those 2 medical reasons were the cause of their deaths according to their families.

As for men/doctors/hospitals and prescriptions? The older ones are by far the worst when it comes to any, ot all of them. I lost 2 close friends that died because of Colon Cancer. Why? Because they both told me "ain't nobody gonna stick nothing up there". Eventually they did, but by then it was too late!

hckynut(john)  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23  Yes, I do and have for past three years due to dx of afib. I am a state employee so my prescription plan grabs most of the cost. I pay 50$ for a 90 day supply which is 180 pills.  When I retire, I will take that insurance with me as my supplemental at same rate and same coverage as if I were employed. Grateful about that. 

I think if I wasn't so fortunate, I would definitely check into getting it from Canada. 

Respected Contributor

My husband took it for years twice a day. He now takes an aspirin a day.    I don't recall the cost because I have insurance thru work and he has medicare also.  One reason I am still working.