Esteemed Contributor

Do you pay attention to your pH levels?

I own an (expensive) water ionizer and try to make the large part of the foods I eat alkaline. I test my saliva often and am always in an alkaline state which is supposed to be more healthful than being acidic. A lot of diseases are linked to an acidic state. But some call this whole concept bunk.

I am speaking about this topic tonight to a group of women and was just wondering if you pay any attention to this aspect of your health.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you pay attention to your pH levels?

Esteemed Contributor

In the past I did know about this.  It's a little tricky.  As a Native American, we can't eat and digest many things so we have to know our own bodies and what works.  Acidic foods can lead to psoriasis and ulcers.  It is unique to everyone so I just can't come out and blanket support everything. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I do not.  The only pH I monitor is that of the soil in my gardens, particularly if a favorite plant isn't doing well.

Honored Contributor

If you eat right you should not have to worry unless you have some underling medibolic disease going on.  A healthy person with a healthy diet and lifestyle should be fine.  It is not healthy to be too acid or too alkaline. There is a balance point you want to strive for.

i do believe that most American's eat such an awful diet, that they are most likely more acidic and thus disease ridden.I am sure your talk will help many people learn about the importance of a healthy diet!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think an endocrinologist would tell you that you need to be in a balanced state - body pH should be between 7.35 - 7.45 so that is slightly alkaline but depending on what you have eaten, are you breathing heavy while working out etc or how efficient your kidneys are you can vary your body pH frequently through the day. I don't think this is anything to be concerned about unless you have some disease process going on .

Esteemed Contributor

This concept appears to lead to a restricted diet that omits some good foods and has never been validated by clinical trials, so no, I don't follow anything like this.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

Here are some excellent resources for your talk:

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/ph/

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/alkaline-diet/

Of course eating an alkaline diet is preferred to just water.

And you can probably guess what an alkaline diet would be...!

Hint: 🌽🍠🍅🍎🍐🍊🍋🌱🌱

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom, thanks for the links! And like you, yes, alkaline foods are predominant in my diet. In its attempt to keep the pH level around 7.4, the body will steal from wherever it can to reduce acid. Resulting in many deleterious effects to the body. I'm just out to spread the joy of health!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

Aww...look at you!!   

Spreading the message. 

Love it.  

Come back to this thread & let us know how it went, K?

Wanted to add:

You're going to get mixed thoughts about Akaline water.

My BFF thinks I'm nuts by getting my jugs refilled at Whole Foods

with Reverse Osmosis water.  Yes, he tries to Water Shame me! Ha

I truly think it's worth having good water...if anything, just for the taste.