Esteemed Contributor

Do you own e-bike or pedal assist bike?

Just ordered izip, pedal assist step-thru bike. Hubs ordered a bike as well. We traded in our hybrids and he kept his road bike. This was the year we didn't want to push our knees or wear ourselves out on hills. Does anyone own these bikes? What's your experiences? Thank you.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you own e-bike or pedal assist bike?

My dad bought a moped, which I suppose is the same thing, and he almost killed himself the same day he got it.  Sold it soon after.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Kachina - ouch! I do love a good moped/Vespa ride. How disappointing for your dad. The ebike or pedal assist looks like a hybrid bike but is battery charged. Can go up to 20 mph tops when pressed, but... The pedal assist helps kick in when needed for hills and wear and tear on knees for longer distances. If battery runs low - and this can be monitored - one can still peddle home. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake.  Thats what this thing looked like, a bike with a motor.  A driver's license was not required to drive it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it is quite similar. I'll make sure and be careful. Thank you

Honored Contributor

My neighbor got a bike as a 60th birthday present.  He called it an electric bike (is that the same thing?).  He loves it!

Respected Contributor

Never heard of those. We still use our mountain bikes.

Honored Contributor

I have an English Racer (remember them?) I use riding around my communitiy & a mountain bike which I use on the bike trails in the woods.

My brother has an electric girls bike.  He said the girlie is easier to control.  He's 67.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

My husband turned his bike into an ebike this summer. He felt like he needed some assist climbing hills. My adult son is a cyclist and is a bit of a snob. He just rolls his eyes when I talk about the ebike. 

Valued Contributor

I was riding a Townie bike that I really liked, but I found myself avoiding windy days or warmer weather. I decided to get an ebike. I got a Gazelle T-9 Classic. I absolutely LOVE that thing. I bought it in late June and rode it SO MUCH all summer and even into this month in Michigan on days that weren't really cold. It's a pedal assist bike. It's so much fun to ride, and I just love my new bike. I hope you really enjoy your izip. I have to artificial hips, so it works for me really well.

Briggsie