Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you know anything about being at high risk for breast cancer?

Hi @cherry. I think your sister's getting a little ahead of herself, and prolonged anticipation of something she dreads can have a negative effect on her immune system. She needs that to be in top shape.

After the lumpectemy her Dr will have a better idea of the options available to her.

Prior to that she should focus on controlling what she can.

Thru good diet and daily exercise she can help prevent depression and bolster her immune system. I'm a big believer in being as healthy as possible when going into surgery.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I just got off the phone with my sister, who  called to tell me she needs a lumpectomy. She has a mass in her breast that needs to be removed asap.

She was naturally very upset , and it talking about having her entire  breast removed. I didn't know what to tell her, except that  I am sure she will be monitored  very closely.

I don't know enough about this  condition to be  of much use.  Is it usual to remove someone's entire  breast, when the lump isn't cancerous, even if you are at high risk?

@cherry

You say that she has a mass that has been biopsied and isn't cancerous?  Does she have an oncologist working with her gynecologist?  Do you know why they are so anxious to perform surgery?  I sure would make sure she gets another opinion ASAP and maybe her internist can put her on Xanax for a while until this is resolved.

I don't  know any more than I have posted. She was so upset she couldn't say  more than I have posted

I will suggest another opinion, but  after she was told asap, she might be too afraid to wait

@cherry  If it isn't cancer, why the need for surgery?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I just got off the phone with my sister, who  called to tell me she needs a lumpectomy. She has a mass in her breast that needs to be removed asap.

She was naturally very upset , and it talking about having her entire  breast removed. I didn't know what to tell her, except that  I am sure she will be monitored  very closely.

I don't know enough about this  condition to be  of much use.  Is it usual to remove someone's entire  breast, when the lump isn't cancerous, even if you are at high risk?

@cherry

You say that she has a mass that has been biopsied and isn't cancerous?  Does she have an oncologist working with her gynecologist?  Do you know why they are so anxious to perform surgery?  I sure would make sure she gets another opinion ASAP and maybe her internist can put her on Xanax for a while until this is resolved.

I don't  know any more than I have posted. She was so upset she couldn't say  more than I have posted

I will suggest another opinion, but  after she was told asap, she might be too afraid to wait

@cherry  If it isn't cancer, why the need for surgery?

@mousiegirlthe Dr wants her to have it. It is precancerous, and nothing to mess around with

Honored Contributor

As diagnostic techniques increase, it appears to me that there are some forms of BC that benefit from total removal with ALL of the surrounding tissue, and some don't.

A dear friend of mine recently finished treatment, and the "mass" was removed, but she was told by her oncologist that in her case, the surgery that was done was actually more effective than total mastectomy. She was also treated with chemo and radiation. 

Honored Contributor

I had a large (lemon sized) mass removed 20 years ago. The surgery was referred to as a "biopsy".

The biopsy was recommended because although the presumption was that it was benign, it could have hidden a cancerous tumor behind it, out of view of standard mammography equipment (at that time).

I have a mammogram annually.