Frequent Contributor

So, I am new to Yoga..my son got me interested.  I'm 59 with 2 knee replacements and some back issues.  I found some Youtube videos that are very good for people with knee issues.  Any other ideas for me?  I'd like to keep going with it because I'm really enjoying it.  The 2 videos I have been using have me on my back most of the time.  I'd like to do some standing as well.

I appreciate any information or ideas!

Honored Contributor

You can certainly practice yoga on your own, but I suggest especially because you have physical limitations to seek out a good yoga teacher who knows how to work with people who have limitations. I hurt my back at yoga and was down for 3 weeks and never went back to a serious practice. I personally get more out of the meditation practice of yoga than the physical. I did Hatha Yoga.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @blackhole99 about taking some classes.  I would recommend at least going through a beginner series to learn the nuances of the poses.  A good Yoga teacher will also offer modifications to suit any limitations you may have.  Best of luck to you!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I am 66 and practiced Yoga for many years.  About 6 years ago I switched to hot yoga. (Bikram)  I was the oldest regular.  I loved it and it made me feel (and look) good.  The past 18 months I've had a lot of health problems so have been forced to suspend my participation.

If you have back problems, please consult your doctor first.  It would also be wise to take a few beginner's classes before you try it on your own.

Super Contributor

I have practiced yoga a good part of my life.

The best teacher I had always ... always stessed to make sure

in poses we put knee over ankle in all bending poses....never

hyper-extended....

Esteemed Contributor

@KimmC, I agree that you should check with your doctor.  I also agree that you may want to try a beginners class.

I have been doing Pilate for 30 plus years.  YouTube is a wonderful resource. Do a search for BEGINNER yoga.  You should get good results.  Also, some instructors give a regular workout person and a workout more suited to those just beginning in the same video.  

Go slow.  No moves should hurt.  If it hurts, stop that position.  I am amazed at how many great videos there are.  

Good luck!  LM

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for the responses.  Doctor is fine with it.  By now, I know my back well and 'listen' carefully.  My son actually took a lot of classes and has helped me with some things.  I will have to seek out a yoga instructor, I like that suggestion.  Will they work with you one on one?  I am struggling with the breathing techniques...my son said that's the hardest part!

Esteemed Contributor

@KimmC, you should enquire at your local fitness center.  There is usually a list of classes and some instructors offer private lessons.  Perhaps you should start with a few one on one sessions and then join a class.  So good for you!  LM

Frequent Contributor

Beachbody on Demand has a program called 3 week yoga retreat where they start at very beginner level for people who have never done yoga, and then progress.  They had beginners do the moves behind a curtain & they couldn't see the instructor, but they could still do the moves because of how well the trainer explained them.  This helps when you are in a position that doesn't allow you to look up and see the screen without breaking form.  Bad form = injury.  Every move also has a "modifier"  for those just starting.  However, I agree - make sure your health care provider approves first.

Frequent Contributor

@SMA X 2  Thanks a million.  Just looked at the 3 week retreat and think I will try it.  I am concerned about some of it because I really can't kneel.  But I'm hoping there will be enough of other types of movement that I will still benefit.  Smiley Happy