Honored Contributor

Do you have to do certain exercises each morning?

I'm learning at this age, we the older generation, have to do personal exercises for our bodies to operate correctly or at least better for ourselves, daily.  I know in talking to two relatives, that we have to do this.  It's ok, only now, it's not like when I did step aerobics.  

Where we once took moving around for general, we now think about it in a new way.  I've always loved moving around and sports,etc.

Enjoy it all while you can.  For me, the mind goes one way, and the bod goes it's way.

Oh well,  I just say, onward and upward!!! Keep it moving and keep doing all you can.  At least I'm willing! LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have to do certain exercises each morning?

@qualitygal   I do not do my exercises persay in the morning.  Usually later in the day.  I do walk for an hour almost everyday... and then do deep squats for leg strength and upper body strength exercises to keep my shoulders and arms strong.   Probably I really need to start adding core exercises as I have been putting those off and really need to work on my core and stomach.  Perhaps for the new year I will add these too!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree - I have had to take a new approach as I have aged and the arthritis has progressed.  There is a fine line between moving for health and doing more than I should.  Even when I could "do more", I did more than I should!  No more.

I try and take advantage of every thing that I do, to maximize range of movement, muscle work, and calorie burn.

I do love to walk but the knees are talking to me.  I already have one fake hip.

Carry on and Happy Holidays🎄

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal, I am a year into a shift to swimming after foot injuries.   I hated to give up daily walks but I know this is as low/no impact as you can get.  My body thanks me every day.  Keep it going!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Monday, Wednesday, and FridayI go to aerobic dance at the YMCA. On Thursday I go to my Zumba class. I enjoy working out in the morning. Then I have the rest of the day to do whatever I want. Oh, the joys of retirement.

Honored Contributor

Yes.   Weights

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I ride my stationary bike every morning for at least 2.5 hours then the first part of my lunch hour I stair climb in my building and do a laps on each floor.  All floors have one big circle with elevators and restrooms in the middle.  Do a flight up then do two laps around that particular floor then start back over and do one more time.  Back in my 30's I did ten flights now in my fifties I only do five.  Slowing down for sure.  I love food and reading and both can put the weight on if I am not careful.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

We walk 1 mile ,at least, every morning

Honored Contributor

I have always exercised basically the same all my life - no change since I am older.   I cannot do more than 20 pound dumbells because of nerve damage and not because of age.  I'm an early riser and workout 45 min resistance, 45 min Zumba and when the weather is nice walk the dog for anouther 45 minutes.  I have no energy if I don't do this daily.  I also do small bursts of workouts during the day.  Even when I had a broken ankle torn menescus and other issues I always did some sort of workout daily.  That is why I am more mobile than most my age.  If I didn't I can see where I would slow down and age faster.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First thing every morning I ride a stationary bike for an hour. (I watch TODAY to help the time pass)