Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have to do certain exercises each morning?

I hold a 2 minute plank everyday before work Mon-Fri. I also run four mornings a week.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I ride my stationary bike every morning for at least 2.5 hours then the first part of my lunch hour I stair climb in my building and do a laps on each floor.  All floors have one big circle with elevators and restrooms in the middle.  Do a flight up then do two laps around that particular floor then start back over and do one more time.  Back in my 30's I did ten flights now in my fifties I only do five.  Slowing down for sure.  I love food and reading and both can put the weight on if I am not careful.

@beckyb1012  2.5 hours on the bike?  How do you do it?  I can be  barely stand   A half hour...I get so bored 😑.  What is your secret?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do certain exercises every day, but on days I don't get in a lot of movement of some sort, I am sore the next day.

My parents are 81 and 75. They started going to the gym around the first of the year. My mom has lost about 55 lbs, my dad about 15. My dads dr also changed some of his meds around, his says he feels so much better, his color looks so much better too.

Hubby and I were in lowes earlier and he saw a guy he used to work with, who is retired. The man said he stays busy everyday except Sunday, and on Sunday he goes to church and rests. He says same thing, if he doesn't stay busy, he is in pain.

Something how people work hard, thinking about retirement and kicking back and taking it easy, and if you take it too easy, you can't move the next day, lol.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm learning at this age, we the older generation, have to do personal exercises for our bodies to operate correctly or at least better for ourselves, daily.  I know in talking to two relatives, that we have to do this.  It's ok, only now, it's not like when I did step aerobics.  

Where we once took moving around for general, we now think about it in a new way.  I've always loved moving around and sports,etc.

Enjoy it all while you can.  For me, the mind goes one way, and the bod goes it's way.

Oh well,  I just say, onward and upward!!! Keep it moving and keep doing all you can.  At least I'm willing! LOL

@qualitygal

I am not doing any exercises in the morning right now.  But at times I find I have to do certain things depending upon what issues flare up.  I had a frozen shoulder in the past and sometimes it tends to give me some pain so I have several exercises that I do when this happens.  Also, my back, and then there are these ankle exercises.  Once I retire, I am going to try to figure out a routine of what is safe to do in the morning, stretches, etc.  I think it is important to keep moving at some level even though we have issues.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I have done stretching exercises for many years but I do them at night right before I go to bed.  I rest better that way.  I also lift small weights before I go to bed.  It all kind of gets the "kinks" out and I just sleep better.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally admitted to myself that I actually feel better when I do something in the morning. So I get up at 4:45, feed my furkids, and then hit the treadmill for between 4 and 5 miles. Then I get ready and come into work. 

I also make it a point to walk 300+ steps every hour between 5 am and 5 pm; if I don't walk, my FitBit Charge 3 (C3) will vibrate to remind me to get off my lazy butt.

We live in a bilevel house, so I try to hit at least 30 floors a day, walking down and back up the steps. By the end of my day, I try to have at least 20,000 steps and over 100 Active Minutes logged into my Fitbit. And life is good.

Because of a bad back, there are not a lot of exercises that I can do. But I can still walk!

MOTIVATION GETS YOU STARTED: HABIT KEEPS YOU GOING

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I ride my stationary bike every morning for at least 2.5 hours then the first part of my lunch hour I stair climb in my building and do a laps on each floor.  All floors have one big circle with elevators and restrooms in the middle.  Do a flight up then do two laps around that particular floor then start back over and do one more time.  Back in my 30's I did ten flights now in my fifties I only do five.  Slowing down for sure.  I love food and reading and both can put the weight on if I am not careful.

@beckyb1012  2.5 hours on the bike?  How do you do it?  I can be  barely stand   A half hour...I get so bored 😑.  What is your secret?

I read six books at least a week.  Loosing myself in a great read and before you know it hours have gone by @SeaMaiden

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal,

I never do any type of exercises in the morning unless I feel my blood and body temperatures are at the proper heat level so they are not restricted or constricted, from contracting and elongating easily. Same with all my exercises, especially ice skating.

The ice rink is cold, which in turn drops these temps, and until my Heart Rate gets up to at least 120bpm? I do not do any vigorous type of skating, or hockey stops(stopping on a dime). Same when I ran/use my recumbent, or do any exercise that contracts or fully extends my muscles and/or connective tissues.

Right after getting moving in the morning would be the worst time for most, and the older the body? I see and hear about so many "elders" doing just that, and then wondering why they are so tight, or worse, injure themselves. Gotta remember that regardless of when one wants to do any type of serious muscle contracting, or elongating, make sure you blood temperature is warm enough to do them safely.

You know I couldn't just answer your thread title question with a yes or no!      =^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't exercise in the morning but I try to do some stretching after I have my coffee. My lower back feels stiff when I get up and I think it might be because of the bed I'm sleeping on...not really sure, could be old age, too.

Trusted Contributor

Gym with a trainer at 5am 2x weekly and walk the dog a couple miles afterwards. 

I try for at least 10k steps daily on my fitbit and an hour of "activity" each day.