Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a sleeping recliner?

My mom has one. Her knees bother her too much when she tries to sleep in bed. She loves hers. It also has a function that stands her up.

I'm a side sleeper, but I've been able to sleep in a recliner before. I sort of turned my upper body a bit. It was very comfortable and relaxing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I sleep in a recliner at least 80% of the time since I had quadruple open heart surgery 3 yrs. ago.  I tried two different mattresses on an adjustable bed and they don't work for my shoulder and back pain nearly as well as the recliner. Yes,  I too can tilt myself to the side and sleep.  It took me a while to catch on but I can get very comfortable in my recliner.

The important thing for me is it has to be very plush and heavily padded with soft thick padding and NOT a rocking recliner. I have tendonitis in my upper arms and shoulder problems in both arms. I also think it is important to get one where you don't have to reach too far down the side of the chair for manual adjustments.  That really hurts my arms to the point we had to exchange that chair for an electric one where the buttons are higher up.  They allowed us to exchange the first one if we bought a higher priced one so you might want to find a place that does that.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks again for the good advice.  They are expensive and all of your tips are helping. ♥

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Please tell me the pros and cons.  My DH is suffering from osteoarthritis and it's getting alarmingly bad since he turned 63.  He needs two knee replacements and eventually a shoulder replacement, maybe even a hip down the road.

Long story short, he can hardly sleep at night.  The hip and especially shoulder keep waking him up.  I'm thinking a cozy sleeping recliner with heat and massage might be the ticket, especially for his surgical recoveries.

The problem is, he is a side sleeper, sleeps on his bad shoulder and can't make himself stop.  Can you sleep on your side in one of these?

Please share your thoughts and experiences - thank you! Smiley Happy

We have 3 sleeping recliners.  My Mom has a lift chair that I've slept in when visiting.  I wasn't all that comfortable in them.  I've had an adjustable bed  (split king) for several months now and it's much more comfortable than a recliner.  It has massage but not heat.  There is more "flexibility" with an adjustable mattress.  

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   

https://youtu.be/8BD03iilH28

The chair I found the most comfortable of all we tried were the pillow top ones.  So easy on my joints but the back and hips were still supported.  The one in the video called

Grayson  was the best.  They have it, in the rocker and the regular.  You don't want the rocker version because it tips easily but this chair is the "bomb".....at least for me it was!

You will see how plush it is in the video.

Honored Contributor

DH slept in our recliner 4 years ago after a motor cycle incident that cracked 3 ribs 

Trusted Contributor

Well not a "sleep" recliner, but a Lazy-Boy type.  It will need to be plush, comfortabel and adjustable to differnt positions including almost flat.

I am naturally a side sleepler but you can put a pillow on the side of the reclincer to limit side sleeping if you want.  You should be able to side sleep on it if you so desire.

You should read a lot of reviews, and after picking out a few candidates, DH should actually test out the recliner prior to purchasing. 

Do the math.