Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a list of non-negotiable daily supplements?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

A multivitamin and a hair,skin and nails supplement. That is all.I get all the calcium I need eating my dairy and all the vitamin D I need being outside.

@151949,

I'm glad you enjoy your dairy...but did you know that it's a myth that dairy products are a good source of calcium? Best sources of calcium come from non-dairy...fyi

There was a study done about calcium in dairy and the results were shocking...the countries that comsumed the most dairy had the highest incidence of broken bones and osteoporosis.

Respected Contributor

Women's daily vitamin gummies from Target

CoQ10

Digestive Advantage

and have been taking Zyflamend for my knee which includes tumeric, ginger and green tea.  I think I will stay on this because it contains so many things that are really good for you. 

I usually take a melatonin 3 mg each night to sleep.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Women's daily vitamin gummies from Target

CoQ10

Digestive Advantage

and have been taking Zyflamend for my knee which includes tumeric, ginger and green tea.  I think I will stay on this because it contains so many things that are really good for you. 

I usually take a melatonin 3 mg each night to sleep.

I am not familiar with Zyflamend. Just read some info about it and it does look good. I eat fresh ginger often and I consume matcha. Both are extremely good for you.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@151949 wrote:

A multivitamin and a hair,skin and nails supplement. That is all.I get all the calcium I need eating my dairy and all the vitamin D I need being outside.

@151949,

I'm glad you enjoy your dairy...but did you know that it's a myth that dairy products are a good source of calcium? Best sources of calcium come from non-dairy...fyi

There was a study done about calcium in dairy and the results were shocking...the countries that comsumed the most dairy had the highest incidence of broken bones and osteoporosis.

Inorder for calcium to bind to your body you MUST have vitamin D and in order for vitamin D to bind to your body you MUST have a fat moleciule so if you only eat skim or fat free  dairy - your right - it does not contain what you need. However, I do not eat skim / fat free dairy because I know that is not an effective source of  the nutrients I need. 

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D

COQ10

Fiber capsules

Probiotic

Tumeric

And I used to pride myself on not being a pill taker...😳

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Calcium

Co-Q-10

1-low dose aspirin

B 12

Oh, I do have a dose twice a day of Heather's Tummy Tamer powder mixed in water.  It is similar to Benefiber except it is natural and is suppose to be good for IBS.  It does help me a lot!

My only script that I take is for cholesteral, so that is why I take the Co-Q-10.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

No. I've tried them, but I can never stick to them. I have to take daily medication for my asthma and allergies, so adding MORE things on top of that just gets unpleasant. Besides, I just haven't been able to find enough conclusive evidence that most of the supplements we take are needed or beneficial.

I shake my head whenever Andrew Lessman is on HSN and I hear him, the host and callers talking about the 50+ vitamins a day they are taking.

All I can think of is their poor livers having to process all those unnecessary vitamins.  But, he has a vitamin for that too.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

I really don't like taking the supplements I do but it's very difficult to get what I need from eating food. Plus my gut is poor at absorbing. A while ago  I had blood drawn for a vitamin panel test and that was when I realized how much I was lacking. And even if I think I am eating well, food these days does not contain nutrients like they did in years gone by, unfortunately. 

Respected Contributor

I think it's a pretty general concensus today that due to poor eating habits and the quality of our food, that a multivitamin is probably good to maintain the bare minimum. 

That said, I can't take them. All vitamins just kill my stomach!