Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a list of non-negotiable daily supplements?

I got a hair analysis to swee what my body is missing.  Have found this to be the best way.

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

I got a hair analysis to swee what my body is missing.  Have found this to be the best way.

That's interesting.  I've not heard of that. 

Honored Contributor

I had my blood drawn to get the critical vitamin D and B-12 levels checked. Both were so shockingly low that my doc gave me a B-12 shot that day and wrote a rx for 45,000 iu vitamin D to take weekly for period of 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, my D level was still low but at least it wasn't off the charts!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Happy. Unfortunately I live with chronic malabsorption so I have to get checked often. 

Having such a low D level put me at risk for many health problems...no need to discuss those here and you can google that stuff whenever...but  the low B-12 level was the one component that really effected me all around...physically AND mentally. At the time I had no idea of the importance of B-12. Today I'm feeling really good and hope to remain so for a long time to come.Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

- Publix store brand Psyllium fiber caplets for regularity and cholesterol control (6 a day, 2 w/ each meal). I also drink a lot of water to make them work.

- Puritan's Pride Turmeric and Tart Cherry Complex caplets for knee pain control (2 a day, 1 w/ breakfast, 1 w/dinner)

- Centrum Womens's 50+ vitamin (1 a day with Breakfast)

I'm regular, cholesterol is down, and way less aches in knee from speed walking.

At 53, haven't been prescribed any medications by doc except Estradiol for HR.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had my blood drawn to get the critical vitamin D and B-12 levels checked. Both were so shockingly low that my doc gave me a B-12 shot that day and wrote a rx for 45,000 iu vitamin D to take weekly for period of 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, my D level was still low but at least it wasn't off the charts!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Happy. Unfortunately I live with chronic malabsorption so I have to get checked often. 

Having such a low D level put me at risk for many health problems...no need to discuss those here and you can google that stuff whenever...but  the low B-12 level was the one component that really effected me all around...physically AND mentally. At the time I had no idea of the importance of B-12. Today I'm feeling really good and hope to remain so for a long time to come.Smiley Very Happy

I go in August for bloodwork and I'm going to tell my doc I want my vitamin levels checked as well as my thyroid.  I have bloodwork done every year and never have these things been checked as part of my regular yearly exam.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva,

I'm glad that you are checking your vitamin levels...which ones?  For me it's the D and the B-12. I don't know why these two have never been included in a blood test panel like other important factors in our blood. Hope your vitamin test comes back normal and if it doesn't, that can be fixed.Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

I take these daily:

multivitamin

cranberry

maximum joint effort

choconuvo

vitamin C

omega 3