Honored Contributor

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

It seems that I've had migraines for ever - they follow my ocular nerve RT. side.  Used to have once a week, now down around one per 6 weeks.

Aura bright, white, pulsating, light, occasionally some color; followed by blinding pain and fierce, unremitting nausea.

Bless my Neurologist Heart

Sympathy to anyone who has these Devils!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe, I'm so sorry you have to suffer. My headaches were very much like yours except I didn't have auras. There were times that I was deathly ill for days at a time, had to lie down in a totally dark, silent bedroom, dizzy and nauseated. One of my neurologists sponsored a headache support group which was helpful in many ways. People who haven't had migraines can't understand how debiliating they can be. I hope yours will continue to be less frequent and everyone describing theirs on this thread will find relief.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree, glad you started this, it's led me to look up and see if it can be related to Virtigo. Some good reading connecting all this. It's good in case I need to explore other routes with what's going on with me. Hope everyone suffering from any of this is doing better. 

Honored Contributor

I've been getting them since the 1950s ... Over the years, I've asked quite a few doctors about them and they don't seem at all concerned.    I'll get several a week for a month - and then nothing for months. 

One thing that I know triggers them for me are nsaids lke Advil, etc.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . without the subsequent migraine headache?

I just had one sitting here that lasted 14 minutes (about normal for me).  I get more of them now than I used to, but I don't get them often in that months can go by.

Mine start in the middle of my vision, are very irregular, bright white, grow in size, and slowly retreat peripherally out of the right side of my eyesight. 

My beloved sister used to have them in bright colors and were always followed by a migraine headache and getting very sick.

If you get them, how do they affect you?

I haven't had a migraine in a long time but when i had them, I used to get the aura & then I would smell a chlorine like smell. When I got the headaches, they were bad. I would get nauseous (didn't throw up) & light & noise would make the headache worse. I'd have to close the curtains (or blinds) so that the room was dark & the kids had to turn down the tv or radio. I think I stopped having them when i went into menopause, which leads me to think that mine were hormonal in origin.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@tends2dogs

Mine were every day during my 30's and 40's. Had to keep going to raise our DD. 

There was a shot called "Imitrex" that worked ok, but my skin was getting a larger area of swelling each time so discontinued.

Migranal (ergotamine?) was useless.

I kept insisting that mine were set off by chronic sinus infections. 

After two sinus surgeries, the headaches were controlled (but also irrigation finally worked).

They still start up until I do eight rinses per day, which brings relief.

During my migraine life, staying in bed was not an option!

Wow, @LTT1.  I understand about not staying in bed.  You learn to grin and bear it.  I tried sinus meds thinking that might help, but it really never did.  If I feel one coming on, I jump on the Ibuprophen and Tylenol.....trying to get ahead of the pain.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

When I was younger, in my thirties, I had temporary blindness in the center of my vision in both eyes. First event happened at work and I was sent to see a doctor who diagnosed me with high bp but never followed up on it or never took meds for it.. Years later I suffered eye pain in bright light which would always lead to severe headaches that was in turn diagnosed to be migraine in nature due to my high bp. I have it under control now.

Esteemed Contributor

About 1.5 years ago my dad was recording my nephews school program. After it was over he couldn't see. It was so bad he couldn't drive. No headache or chest pain. Stupid him though didn't go to a doctor to see what happened. Since he has never had a issue after that he believes this is what happened to him. Maybe from looking through a shaky phone recording his program caused it.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . without the subsequent migraine headache?

I just had one sitting here that lasted 14 minutes (about normal for me).  I get more of them now than I used to, but I don't get them often in that months can go by.

Mine start in the middle of my vision, are very irregular, bright white, grow in size, and slowly retreat peripherally out of the right side of my eyesight. 

My beloved sister used to have them in bright colors and were always followed by a migraine headache and getting very sick.

If you get them, how do they affect you?

I haven't had a migraine in a long time but when i had them, I used to get the aura & then I would smell a chlorine like smell. When I got the headaches, they were bad. I would get nauseous (didn't throw up) & light & noise would make the headache worse. I'd have to close the curtains (or blinds) so that the room was dark & the kids had to turn down the tv or radio. I think I stopped having them when i went into menopause, which leads me to think that mine were hormonal in origin.

@sgraham30

I totally agree with the hormonal origin.  I never had an aura until menopause, and my sister's migraines lessened significantly after menopause.

Additionally, my mother's migraines started after she had a miscarriage in her early 30s and subsequent total hysterectomy.

I believe many of my autoimmune and other health issues were hormonal in origin also because I had a very severe menopause.

This is my opinion only, I have no proof of this.  But I do agree with you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I've had three occular migraines.  They occurred while I was going through the menopausal transition.  I'm now post-meno for several years, and never had another one.

I was lucky in that I never got a migraine after one.  But, the next day, I would develop a very mild, dull headache.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"