Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,461
Registered: ‎07-20-2014

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

Yes, I get them in my left eye, without the headache.  When I get them I turn off the tv and shut down my laptop and they go away in a few minutes as long as there aren't any bright lights.

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,083
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

I've had two occular migraines.... both were like having a spinning color wheel in my eye.  Neither was followed by a migraine.  But, I've been plagued by migraines all of my adult life... maybe earlier.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,921
Registered: ‎06-12-2013

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .


@LilacTree wrote:

@Melania wrote:

Yes.

Ever have one while driving? I don't recommend it.

I think they are worse right now due to the environment...pollen, severe stroms which involve barometric pressure.

 

I had one last week that was like tunnel vision but then it turned into a migraine.

When one first gets them it freaks you out until you know what it is. 


@Melania

I agree.  My mother and sister used to get them when we were all still young.  Mine did not start until after menopause, and I realized what it was (because of my mother and sister) but I have never had a migraine afterwards (I was more surprised at that, than afraid of what it was because I knew what it was and expected a headache which never came.)


I too started getting them after medical menopause. I always had a headache but never to this degree.

 

I'm glad at least you had some idea what it was from your mother and sister's experiences then what you might expect. I'm sorry they had to deal with that and now you have them from time to time.

It is scary.

 

 O/T I also want to add that everyone should be aware of floaters and spider like visuals because they could mean retinal issues. But I think they don't go away...they just get worse.

My DH had them and the doctor had to perform eye surgery immediately. 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,945
Registered: ‎07-26-2014

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

Never had an aura.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."


220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .


@Melania wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Melania wrote:

Yes.

Ever have one while driving? I don't recommend it.

I think they are worse right now due to the environment...pollen, severe stroms which involve barometric pressure.

 

I had one last week that was like tunnel vision but then it turned into a migraine.

When one first gets them it freaks you out until you know what it is. 


@Melania

I agree.  My mother and sister used to get them when we were all still young.  Mine did not start until after menopause, and I realized what it was (because of my mother and sister) but I have never had a migraine afterwards (I was more surprised at that, than afraid of what it was because I knew what it was and expected a headache which never came.)


I too started getting them after medical menopause. I always had a headache but never to this degree.

 

I'm glad at least you had some idea what it was from your mother and sister's experiences then what you might expect. I'm sorry they had to deal with that and now you have them from time to time.

It is scary.

 

 O/T I also want to add that everyone should be aware of floaters and spider like visuals because they could mean retinal issues. But I think they don't go away...they just get worse.

My DH had them and the doctor had to perform eye surgery immediately. 

 

 


@Melania

I agree.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,707
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

I get them when I am very stressed. I had a lot of them after a heart attack last year. I was on a med that they took me off because I was getting them while driving....it was a nitrate for my heart. I get zig-zag lines and they scare me even though I know it's OK. I was told people who get them are more prone to strokes...

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,684
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

I have had 3 or 4 and they were not followed by a migraine although I do get migraines.  They last about 29 minutes. My sister gets them and my dad did, too.  It was scary the first time, but I kind of had an idea what it was because my sister had had them.  I immediately went to the eye doctor and had it checked out.  He said it was benign ocular migraine.  I agree with @Trinity11 that stress can bring them on.  Last year when I was dealing with my dog having cancer and the chemo, etc I had constant flashing in the outer right eye.  I saw it only at night, but assume that maybe it was happening during the day, too.  I have found if I take deep breaths, I can ward them off. 

 

Also, after taking a round of steroids for bronchial pneumonia, they seemed to stop for awhile.  I wondered if they had anything to do with inflammation.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,011
Registered: ‎03-20-2012

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

Yes, I get ocular migraines. I didn't have them until about ten years ago. Mine are the zig zag type also. Had no idea what they were at first until I found them in a medical book that we have. Everyone says they are nothing to worry about, so I just wait until they are done, which in my case is about twenty minutes.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

I get them when I am very stressed. I had a lot of them after a heart attack last year. I was on a med that they took me off because I was getting them while driving....it was a nitrate for my heart. I get zig-zag lines and they scare me even though I know it's OK. I was told people who get them are more prone to strokes...


@Trinity11

Mine are zig zag also.

 

I was told the exact opposite . . . that they have nothing to do with strokes.  I will google it.  I have low blood pressure (avg 117/68) so I have never felt I was a candidate for strokes. 

 

They do happen to be a rare side effect of the med I am now taking called Xifaxan for newly diagnosed SIBO.

 

ETA:  I did google the difference between the similar symptoms, and TIAs or strokes usually attack suddenly and progress quickly to more serious symptoms, while the migraine auras come on slowly and go away with no other symptoms other than the migraine.

 

Most of what I read indicates that if the attacks differ from what one is accustomed to, then a call to 911 is indicated immediately.  Hopefully one is not alone when that happens because the strokes incapacitate very quickly.

 

 

 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,707
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

Re: Do you get migraine auras . . .


@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I get them when I am very stressed. I had a lot of them after a heart attack last year. I was on a med that they took me off because I was getting them while driving....it was a nitrate for my heart. I get zig-zag lines and they scare me even though I know it's OK. I was told people who get them are more prone to strokes...


@Trinity11

Mine are zig zag also.

 

I was told the exact opposite . . . that they have nothing to do with strokes.  I will google it.  I have low blood pressure (avg 117/68) so I have never felt I was a candidate for strokes. 

 

They do happen to be a rare side effect of the med I am now taking called Xifaxan for newly diagnosed SIBO.

 

 

 


Just google ...lots of connections are suspected. I don't worry about it. I just have tests done, take my heart meds and hope for the best.