Honored Contributor

Re: Do you find tears healing?

Tears may be an emotional release, but I don't find them healing.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Tears may be an emotional release, but I don't find them healing.

Neither do I.

Valued Contributor

I have a framed sign in my bathroom that says

the cure for anything

is saltwater:

sweat, tears or the sea.

- isak dinesen

Honored Contributor

I find myself tearing up almost every morning these days.  I cannot awaken and just get up, as I have to take my meds and lie there for at least an hour.  That's when all the losses pile up and I feel the tears spilling.  I almost feel I need to do that in order to face the day.  I do it quietly and only when I am alone.

When my beloved sister died almost five years ago (I can't believe it has been that long), it was on my "off" day . . . we had been going up, a two hour ride, every other day.  I wanted to be there to hold her at the end and I wasn't.  As one daughter called me to tell me she was gone, my other daughter was crashing through the front door.  I was making animal sounds that I've never heard coming out of me before.  I had no control over it.  That wasn't crying, that was howling like a wounded animal in the woods. 

However, I do agree that weeping (tearing up) does release a lot of tension and is helpful most of the time.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@pugvette74 wrote:

I have a framed sign in my bathroom that says

the cure for anything

is saltwater:

sweat, tears or the sea.

- isak dinesen

I like that quotation a lot. It is from Danish author, Karen Blixen, using one of her several psuedonyms. She had a fascinating life and certainly knew a lot about tears. One of her most famous works was her autobiograhical book, Out of Africa, later made into that luscious movie. I'm a huge fan of hers.

Esteemed Contributor

Not really. The last time I cried was when I watched the vet  end my cats life last month.

I get angry and swear. My husband passed away this year and all I could think of why were you so stubborn and not try to take care of yourself. You brought this on yourself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always been a very tender-hearted, sensitive person, and can tear up in an instant over the least little thing, even hymns in church, patriotic music, or a marching band playing in a parade.   Releasing a few tears often makes me feel much better, but it basically depends on what is on my mind at the time.   I think I cry less as I get older, and feel a lot of that is due to realizing that the maternal side of my family were heavy grievers, which influenced me far more than I realized.  

I do not cry when I visit my dads grave, or any other family members graves, as I am at peace with their deaths.   

Super Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Not really. The last time I cried was when I watched the vet  end my cats life last month.

I get angry and swear. My husband passed away this year and all I could think of why were you so stubborn and not try to take care of yourself. You brought this on yourself.

@halfpint1

I am sorry for your loss.

I always try to tell myself, they did the best they could do, at that time.

Trusted Contributor

If the eye had no tears the soul would have no rainbows.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I have always been a very tender-hearted, sensitive person, and can tear up in an instant over the least little thing, even hymns in church, patriotic music, or a marching band playing in a parade.   Releasing a few tears often makes me feel much better, but it basically depends on what is on my mind at the time.   I think I cry less as I get older, and feel a lot of that is due to realizing that the maternal side of my family were heavy grievers, which influenced me far more than I realized.  

I do not cry when I visit my dads grave, or any other family members graves, as I am at peace with their deaths.   

@RedTop

Thank you, for your words, I too am finding I am at peace...  I guess visiting my mothers grave for the first time after two years, is always the hardest.