Honored Contributor

There are many types of push-ups that can make the transition to a full body push-up. The key is to progress VERY slowly. All those minor muscles & tendons need to be built up over time so injury does not occur. The key is consistency & patience!

There have been studies calculating how hard those crazy things are! Here's an excerpt of the results....push-ups giving the % of body weight for each (breakingmuscle.com):

From the measurements, researchers were able to determine load as percentage of bodyweight for each type of push-up:

-) Feet elevated on 60.96 cm box – 74%

-) Feet elevated on 30.48 cm box – 70%

-) Regular push-ups – 64%

-) Hands elevated on 30.48 cm box – 55%

-) Flexed knee push-ups – 49%

-) Hands elevated on 60.96 cm box – 41%

Planks are a good alternative...static strength is important to build the little muscles/tendons.

I showed my trainer a new move (crazy, huh?!). I'm in push-up position...and he cues me...'up...down...halfway...up...halfway...down...up..etc, etc'. I am telling you...holding it halfway then down then pushing up to a full 'up' just burns...but without momentum of the 2-count up/down, it really challenges you!! This up/halfway/down sequence can be used for all push-up protocol....on your knees, on the box, even against the wall for beginners. Try it!!

Esteemed Contributor

My coworker just told me about something she's doing with her husband - it's a program to build up to doing 100 pushups. I just did a search and there's a website about it - http://hundredpushups.com/

Not sure if this is the program she's doing or not, but looks like they also have programs to increase situps, lunges, etc.

As for me, I don't know if I could do a full on push up (bad shoulder).

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for that site, I bookmarked it!

Contributor

Yes, I do them, but not as regularly as I should!

Honored Contributor

push ups are the absolute best for preventing that ugly under arm waddle women get as they get older.

Regular Contributor

I do bent knee push-ups and even those are difficult if you do enough. I can only do a few of the regular ones.

Honored Contributor

I've had a knee replacement so can't do them the usual ways. I lie face down on an exercise ball and slide so the ball is just at my knees. Then I do push ups. You have to use your core this way too which is the big reason I even do them at all.

Super Contributor

Yes I can do 15 -12 great form last few not so much . I would like to do 25 so I am going to keep doing the 15 3-4 x a week until they all are good and then increase -1-2 each week and see if that works. I also plank ,do some yoga moves and use weights and medicine balls within the week -they also help with that upper body . My lower body is pretty strong.

Honored Contributor

Just saw this on Twitter & thought of this push up thread...funny!

Esteemed Contributor

Cute