Honored Contributor

Re: Do you bruise worse than normal?

@LilacTree

I know!  It makes you feel horrible.  I look down at my arms and I want to cry!  They look bad.  I will carry a plastic grocery bag and if it rubs me the wrong way, I will get a blood bruise!  Even my handbag might do it.  My legs are usually covered up, but they are bruised all the time.  As if aging isn't bad enough!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

This thread has motivated me to restart taking a Vitamin C supplement that I always used to take until the last 10 years or so.  No good reason behind why I stopped--not sure why.. 

Nutritionists have claimed for a long time that "recommended daily amounts" of Vitamin C are not adequate for many people.

I am one of those who bruise easily.  I take no meds, no aspirin, nothing I can blame the bruising for, other than aging, thin  and very fair skin and a strong Scandinavian background.

Taking extra Vitamin C daily is worth a try, and I intend to start doing that in addition to the Centrum Silver, magnesium and Vitamin D supplements that I take daily.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Autumn graphics

Every thread before mine here is medically correct. I would like to offer other information for you to consider if this is a constant problem.

Obviously, too little movement or exercise can contribute to this problem due to a decrease in circulation. Then when you do move about it can stress an area and cause bruising.

Also, a vitamin B-12 and B-6 deficiency is often a common problem. Most people don't realize  they are deficient in these two vitamins because of their healthy diet or they take daily vitamins, Often, it isn't enough, so you need to take an individual supplement to boost the absorption of these two.

When you have any blood work done next, ask these levels to be checked.

Additionally, if you are diabetic at all, bruising like this is a major side effect and will be a constant problem. If you don't believe you have the serious form of diabetes, get tested for Type 2

diabetes which is sometimes milder and usually controlled by diet and exercise alone, except in some specific cases.

Arnica does do a great job in removing these bruises if you can't wait for them to reabsorb and disappear

ETA:

I almost forgot. If you take tumeric frequently by capsule, or any other menthod this can lead to a lot of bruising, but you would have to be taking it regularly.

Respected Contributor

My Mom use to tell me that i was related to that Princess in the fairytale "The Princess and the Pea". I also was a tomboy so I was black and blue and blonde!

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling

I just bought a tube of this last night!!!  Thank you for the suggestion.  So, I will put it to the test -- I hope it works for me, too!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I bruise easily, but I'm pretty sure it's because I take a statin and a higher dose of pharmaceutical grade fish oil. My cat whacked me the other day during a grooming session and I'm nursing a nasty bruise on my forearm. I use Arnicare Gel from Walmart that seems to help the bruise heal faster.

Honored Contributor

I bruise something awful and always have.   When I was little my mom had me checked because she thought something was wrong with me.

If I carry something heavy and it leans into my arm/wrist as I'm carrying it, I will have a bruise just from it resting there.  I have bruises that I don't even know where they came from.   

Valued Contributor

I too use Arnicare....either cream or gel.  I think the gel absorbs quicker.  I always tell folks about it and have given away some tubes as well.  I used to buy at iherb.com.....then WalMart had it but I can no longer find it there.  I am now finding it at CVS.  The gel is often sold out.

I recently took a terrible fall and I used this stuff continually and I believe I would have been in much worse shape without it....I just about bathed in it.

Even when I travel, I make sure I have some with me.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1

I also know about the connection of vitamin c and bioflavonoids in the prevention of bruises and bleeding gums.  Bioflavonoids can be found in the white parts of oranges, grapefruits, and peppers, for example.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I bruise something awful and always have.   When I was little my mom had me checked because she thought something was wrong with me.

If I carry something heavy and it leans into my arm/wrist as I'm carrying it, I will have a bruise just from it resting there.  I have bruises that I don't even know where they came from.   

lol! Mine too! My poor mom would just get dirty looks from people at the store etc when they would see my bruised legs and arms! Good thing it was back then because nowdays our moms would be turned into child protective services!