Honored Contributor

Do you bruise worse than normal?

What I mean by that question is, I bruise what I consider the norm. A relative, although taking iron pills and her doctor saying he finds nothing wrong/out of the ordinary, she now seems to be more conserned. I've been shocked before to see how she bruises. I haven't researched it, and I know she has, but I wonder if anyone has this happen with their brusing? I know things can be missed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you bruise worse than normal?

I don't know if I am abnormall bruising.  All my life I have bruised very easily and now that I am older it is so much worse.  If I just brush against something, I have a bruise or a blood bruise!  It is ugly looking and I hate that I am doing this but I do not know what can be done about it.  I have mentioned it to some of my doctors and they have no comment other than I am very fair, thin skinned and am getting older, so, in other words -- put up with it.  I wish there were something I could do to either prevent it or make the bruises clear up faster.  At times I look as though I am being abused!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, my skin is just like yours, just practically touch my arms and one of those things you call a blood bruise appears! You expect that to happen if you're on blood thinners, but I'm not on anything. My mom and aunt experienced the same thing after menopause so I think it's genetic. Scandinavian heritage largely, blonde, fair. Lately I've been putting coconut oil on them 2x a day and it seems to help get rid of them a little faster, still experimenting there. Since I'm a natural klutz, I will get to experiment often! Woman LOL

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

My mom, in her elder years, bruised extremely easy! She always had bruises on her. She was under strict doctors care and they never gave a reason why this happened to her. I'm in my early 60's now and, thank goodness, don't have this same trait as my mom.

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The older I get, the more easily I bruise. I've read that this is not unusual. However, some of the meds that older people take can increase susceptibility to bruising. For example, my husband takes a baby aspirin each day and we've noticed he bruises more easily. The doctor says the aspirin is to blame. I have a knee injury and I've noticed that when I take the medication my doctor prescribed I also notice more bruising. Ah, the joys of aging!

Respected Contributor

Seems to be an issue as we age. At almost 81, I'm trying to be careful out in the gardens, but get bruises easily on my legs when I bump into a hedge branch or the likes. I love wearing knee length skirts to church on Sundays, but sometimes have to wear pants if the bruises can't be covered up. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know if I am abnormall bruising.  All my life I have bruised very easily and now that I am older it is so much worse.  If I just brush against something, I have a bruise or a blood bruise!  It is ugly looking and I hate that I am doing this but I do not know what can be done about it.  I have mentioned it to some of my doctors and they have no comment other than I am very fair, thin skinned and am getting older, so, in other words -- put up with it.  I wish there were something I could do to either prevent it or make the bruises clear up faster.  At times I look as though I am being abused!!!  

I have exactly the same story.  I am very fair and always bruised easily.  But at my age now I bruise without even knowing how I got it.  They are all sizes, mostly on my forearms, purple and ugly and take weeks to disappear. Even on the hottest days in the summer I wear long sleeves.  I've had as many as ten or twelve at a time.  Getting old is so ugly.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I will turn 60 next week, and while this is not an issue for me yet, I do see it with my husband and my mother.   Even the weight of a grocery bag, or mom's purse on her arm will cause a nasty bruise.  My husband takes a full strength aspirin every day for his heart, so every bang and bump leaves a bruise on his arms.  Using the weed eater is sure to leave quite a few marks.  This type of bruising is expected with age as the skin becomes thinner, and with certain meds such as aspirin and blood thinners.   

Honored Contributor

Thank you all, I guess it may just be age in this factor that leads to this instance. I appreciate hearing from you all, it makes sense.

Super Contributor

I'm fair, blond and have bruised easily all my life.    As I grow older, it does get worse as my skin has thinned.  What some of you have described could have been written by me.  I'm not on any medication.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson