Super Contributor

Do you agree with this article?

I can't link to it because of ads on the page and I can't copy the contents because copyright issues.

It's from The Telegraph and it's from 2015

It's easily found on Google, the title is " The cynical lie that "fat is fabulous" and why plus size bloggers should never be considered role models for young women"

By Dr Sarah Burnett

I found it to be very interesting and still relevant. I don't think it's mean, the way I see it it's just realistic and sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I have a daughter, just a small child and to be honest, I would never want her to get to be plus size and if I saw her heading in that direction I would help her stop it.

Would you want your daughter to be plus size?

The other day we were driving past a field with some cows in it and she was in the back observing the landscape then she asked me why are cows fat.

I explained that they were not fat, that it was healthy for them to be big, just as elephants aren't fat, just made that way.

That was OK but if I hear her criticizing a person for being fat or asking a rude question I will teach her that it's not OK and that it's better to be fat than to be rude or mean.

But this article really made me think, I see people giving themselves cutesy names for being overweight or obese when in reality there is nothing cute about it. I don't think. 

Anyway, if you read that article, would you agree with the Dr?

(Skip the comments below the article because some people just want to be mean and have nothing constructive to add to a discussion other than their venom.)

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you agree with this article?

Obesity in America is a real issue. While we are accepting the larger and plus size women in fashion, there is nothing fashionable about belly fat and being over wieight. Ask any doctor. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article, but I do know that people do not want to be fat.  They don't become fat on purpose and most are people who have the same self control as thin people proved by scientific studies. They are not flawed.

There are some people who eat to much overcome emotional pain.  Sometimes they were sexually assulted as children or had some other horrific thing happen to them.

Some plus size people are not fat at all.  They are just bigger people, tall and wider.

No one should be a role model for children because they are fat, skinny, tall or short.  Good role models are chosen because of their achievements, not by what they look like,

I never had a role model my entire life and a I think that most people don't. 

My best friends sister has a daughter who is plus size.  She is over six feet tall and is extra large.  Her friends, family and DH all love her the way she is.  Sometimes when we are at events I hear people comment negatively about her size.  I smack down their comments and tell them to stop being rude.

Would I want a plus size daughter?  Well, I have an adult daughter and she is not even five feet tall and she is petite and thin.  I would love her no matter what her size is...it doesn't matter to me.  Her daughter, my granddaughter age 13, , is way bigger than her mother and will probably be plus size as an adult.  Her father is 6'6" and she is tall like him and is bigger boned.  She plays sports and eats healthy, but will never be a small person.  I would never want her to feel inferior because of her size.

Articles like this are sexist and geared to females only.  We are all different and for all general purposes, size doesn't matter.  We are much more than our physical selves.

And yes, fat is fabulous and no fat is fabulous too.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is a copyright infringement

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with that article. I think it is sad what is happening in America. It has been proven that 1 in 5 Americans are obese. This is the number one killer followed by heart disease.

You watch TV and all they do is have these food commercials. They have combined so many foods that you would not even think about unless you saw it. IHOP is selling donuts with fruit toppings, as a side dish. It is hard not to want to taste some of these foods.

I found that article very interesting and honest. Thank you for posting.

Respected Contributor

I am lus size and remember being shoved into exercise classes and having my food intake watched by my mother. Her advice was that a lady always left a table hungry. Yes, I was in the military for 4 years so I was in shape. But I know having someone hovering over food and exercise is not an incentive.

Honored Contributor

I am plus size, and no mater what size a woman is, she needs to be comfortable with herself. 

No one should make me or any other larger woman feel bad about who they are, they have no right.

Just as they have no right to suggest what we should or should not do.

I take pride in how I look I dress well, I shower, at least once a day if not more, my nails are always done and I am always dressed well, and I do not tolerate "fat shaming" from anyone, what I look like is my concern not yours, I will now step down from my soap box

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I think being fat or obese is a health problem, that being said, most doctors go by a height and frame chart to decide what your ideal weight is. It is almost impossible for most of us to maintain that kind of ideal without starving yourself. I remember when my husband and I went to a nurse practitioner to discuss a low chol. diet for my husband. She said could not believe my husband who is to the eye thin, was considered obese according to their chart. Anyway, to make a long story short, I knew more about what to eat and how to cook  for someone on a low fat diet than she did and she said as much. My husband did loose 14 lbs. and was so thin it was ridiculous and he still had to go on a statin to reduce his cholesterol. I don't thing the article is necessarily wrong, but everyone has to live their own lives and live with the consequences of their choices whatever they may be.

Respected Contributor

some of it . I think everyone would agree that morbid obesity is unhealthy as is anorexia . The body mass index , scales ,  & waist measurement are tools to use and guide. None are absolute.  We are all individuals underneath our skin . 

I have read that belly fat/ brown fat/ visceral (sp?) fat is dangerous to have . The "Wheat Belly" theory makes sense to me as to why more people seem to be affected.

Should clothing manufacturers stop producing all plus size clothes ?-- NO. People come in different sizes and everyone deserves attractive clothing , no matter what their journey.

What we put into our mouths is important as is what comes out of them. Empathy is a good thing to strive for IMO.

Honored Contributor

The group of women in the photo look pretty healthy to me.  It all depends on the various blood tests' results.  If they are all fairly normal, I wouldn't worry about it.   I've known quite a few people in their nineties who are and/or who were 'robust' looking.  Curvy, large-boned, or whatever.  All in all, I say that if the test results are within normal range and a person feels fabulous and strong, that's the important thing.    Normal test results and feeling good and strong.  That would be a good thing, imo.    ........  (Not talking about unhealthy and/or medically obese folks, etc.) ......... Wishing everyone well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).