Honored Contributor

Do we need a scale that shows body fat as well as BMI?

I'm tired of the one I have. I want to get one that reads more accurately.  This one is 6 pounds less than at the doctors office.  I want one that is correct. You can't adjust this one either. Kind of drives me nuts some times.

Do you have a scale that you like?  Does it show body fat and do the BMI?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do we need a scale that shows body fat as well as BMI?

The only good way to really know  the fat to muscle ratio is to go where they have  you in a pool and measure you that way floating.  I really also question the accuracy of these scales.

Honored Contributor

Just get one that shows accurate weight, period.  The BMI reading will always be less than accurate, and you already know how annoying an inaccurate reading can be!   JMO

Esteemed Contributor

I use a Weight Watchers' scale that is fairly close to the scale at my Weight Watchers' meeting. Call me old fashioned, but that's good enough for me. I don't use any of the gear that is sold as weight and fitness aids...no fit-bit, no fancy scale, etc. I lost 108 pounds 35 years ago and I've kept most of it off. Regular aerobic exercise and free weights a couple of times a week have kept me in shape.

Respected Contributor

I bought one that is spot on with the Dr.'s Office, and they have great CS.

It's called a Eat Smart and is electronic.

Honored Contributor

I have one that gives me all that stuff, and go by body fat% and weight,  

but I am a data person,  I weigh myself a few times a week.

My theory is I use the same scale consistently so the data will remain true  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The only good way to really know  the fat to muscle ratio is to go where they have  you in a pool and measure you that way floating.  I really also question the accuracy of these scales.

that is true, but most of us don't have access to that, so using a scale that give an approximate is the next best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

The most accurate, and only way I know to find out how much of your body is fat and how much of it is muscle! That would be the Submersion Body Composition Test. Last one I had was accurate to plus(+)1% to minus(-)1% accuracy.

Calipers, at best with a professional, my last 1 was a plus(+)5% to a minus(-)5%. Unless specifically trained? I can guess as well as most others. Who knows, it could be a plus(+) or minus(-)10%. So you could be at 15% body fat and be told you are 25% body fat. On the other end you could be at 40% and told you are 30% body fat.

What good is a test if it can be that far from being accurate? To me it isn't worth my time, much less if I have to pay for it. Was measured by 2 different Exercise Physiologists with calipers, 1 came up with 20% the other with 13%. My Submersion Test? Came out with 8% body fat. 

There is also an Electromagnetic Composition Test I had done. It's accuracy is supposed to be a plus(+) or minus(-) 5%. Mine(close in time to my Submersion Test) came up as 17%. If you want accuracy, only 1 way I would get it. If you are good with being from 10% to 20% off your real body makeup, take your pick. 

Scales tell you nothing and can, for many be a big downer. Some so much so they give up what is actually working for them. Arbitrary scale numbers, which can vary like the wind, or BMI that tells you nothing but somebody's theory? No thanks!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I just have a digital scale and it works for me.  It's usually within a couple of pounds of the doctor's office.  As you know most peoples weight can fluctuate throughout the day and as far as the BMI chart (LOL) height and weight to get the number you should be a???.  I don't buy that, I think everyone carries their weight differently.  JMOSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's been said for years that most inexpensive home scales don't weigh accurately over 200 lbs., but the Weight Watchers scales, available many places, lightweight and not expensive, are known to be accurate for a home scale, and they are consistent. I'm sure there are others if one looks on Amazon for starters.

Keep in mind that the large scales in doctors' offices need to be calibrated yearly - they go off like any other scale. Anyone can get an inaccurate reading at the doctor's office if that scale needs calibrating.

As far as BMI etc a quick look (Amazon) shows me that many scales have it. But not sure that's meaningfully a whole lot more accurate than the weight/height BMI tables commonly available, or how much difference it should make if one's BMI goes up or down a point or two. How your clothes fit and your scale showing an overall consistent downward path (allowing for daily variables) would mean more to me than yet another measurement that may or may not have the significance people attach to it, or may change next year.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all