Honored Contributor

Re: Do we need a scale that shows body fat as well as BMI?

[ Edited ]

I don't think you need one. Most normal people have body fat that is pretty much a standard type thing, you can look that info up. Unless you have some kind of metabolic abnormality then your fat content will be within most of the published charts. There is also a calculation you can do by using a tape measure.

Those body fat scales work on the principal of electrical impedance so they send a small electrical current through your body and then measures the resistance. Fat contains more water so electricity will travel through it more so than muscle. But really, don't most people know that they have too much fat just by looking in the mirror? 

Honored Contributor

I have a Taylor Body Fat/Water Digital Scale. I don't know how accurate the BMI is since I have never had that done.  Every year when I see the doctor I weigh before I go. It's always off 1 lb from my scale.

Honored Contributor

Smart Weigh Digital Bathroom BMI Body Fat Weight Scale they sell it on Amazon here's the model number SBS500

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I just have a regular bathroom scale, I don't need one that shows body fat ration because I have eyes.  I know where the fat is...lol   My bathroom scale is 4lbs lower than my doctors scale and I could care less.  4lbs one way or the other does not mean diddlysquat to me.  I use my weight on my doctor's scale as my official weight.  

Honored Contributor

I have the Fitbit Aria scale.  I knew when I purchased it, that the body fat percentage wasn't going to be exactly accurate...but it's close enough, and I have seen it go down while I dropped some pounds.  That's good motivation for me. 

Honored Contributor

@september

For me accuracy has always been important in connection with body fat. I prefer single digits as that means I have more muscle carrying less fat, and that is always the best combination. As one ages muscle tissue decreases, even for those that workout regularly to retain it, and that does not bode well for those that add more useless weight to carry while muscle tissue decreases.

Muscles and connective tissue support some of the more important joints of the body. Less, and/or weak muscles and weak and inflexible connective tissue, play a major role in preventing injuries, to everyone of every age.

For those unlike myself, the main thing is a machine being consistent in it's readings. Without that, it tells a person very little, and a good share of the time, what it does tell can be a false negative or a false positive, without consistency.

Most people need to get off the numbers fixation, and concern themselves with how and more of what they feel from their body. Does it move with more ease and less physical output? Is it comfortable getting in positions that were once difficult? How do ones clothes fit their body along their path to better physiological function?

Those things to everyone should be more important than any arbitrary number shown on ANY scale or other mechanical or electronic device. The body will let the brain know when things are improving, but a person needs to be listening, not being distracted by being mainly focused on numbers that mean little in the whole scope of working for fitness, or weight loss or maintaining certain goals.

Consistency is the most important factor in working towards a recovery, or working on any of the above mentioned goals one desires for their body and mind satisfaction. You are exactly right when you say this scale tells you what you want to know, and I am glad your are listening as opposed to just looking at numbers.

Be well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I just have a regular bathroom scale, I don't need one that shows body fat ration because I have eyes.  I know where the fat is...lol   My bathroom scale is 4lbs lower than my doctors scale and I could care less.  4lbs one way or the other does not mean diddlysquat to me.  I use my weight on my doctor's scale as my official weight.  

This^^^

I'm not invested in ratios. Looking in the mirror is sufficient. And consistency matters more to me than the difference of a few pounds. As long as a scale is consistent and shows weight going down, staying the same or even going up, it fulfills its function AFAIC.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@NChrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

Unfortunately, some of the most dangerous type of fat is not visible to the naked eye. Many that eat beef regularly, know when they look at cuts of it, fat can be interlaced in different parts of it. Even those like myself that no longer eats it, I still can easily see the cuts and most of the fat.

The subcutaneous fat can be visible as it mostly is right under the skin. Visceral fat on the other hand(the unseen kind that can surround vital organs of ones body) can be very dangerous for everyone. That is part of why I choose to get the Submersion Body Fat Testing so as I know how much fat tissue I have that I cannot see.

Not trying to add anxiety into anyone that reads this, just information that some may not know. This is why open surgeries, to some parts of the body, are much more complicated and dangerous for the obese, I am saying obese not overweight, because there is a difference. 

I will admit that these types of things are a passion for me, and do not need to be for those that read this. It just happens to be one of my several passions, which I never suggest that anyone follow because of anything I say.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)