Respected Contributor

Re: Do not ignore swelling under your jaw

I have had a stone under my tongue for years - it caused me a great deal of pain at first, but no swelling - now it doesn't bother me.  One of my neighbors has salivary gland cancer and has been to Mayo Clinic for treatment many times.  This has been an ongoing thing - I really feel for her.  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Valued Contributor

Update:

My diagnosis was Sialolithiasis and Parotid Abscess.  I have not researched these terms as of yet. 

Today was a very good day until I looked at my tongue this afternoon.  It was covered in milk white blisters.  Robot tongue

I had the doctor check it last Tuesday but my mouth was just sore and more red than usual. 

She did not think it was Thrush nor did the doctor on call today from the answering service. 

I am to gently brush my tongue twice a day as the treatment.  She said Thrush is on the inside of your mouth and it spreads.  I also heard the words yeast and fungal today. 

Anyway, after my initial peeling myself from the ceiling and talking to my nurse friend and the Pharmacist and the Doctor, I am calmer.  At least my worry was not fueled by the steroids so much today.  I understand the way the body reacts to all the antibiotics.  I just need a couple more days of just boring life, no boat rocking for a bit!  LOL.

Thanks again for the kind words.  I have enjoyed every one of them.

Honored Contributor

@Lapdog

I had a lump that moved, from behind one ear to under the jaw.  It was a stone in the parotid gland that was moving through the duct.  I developed a huge bubble under my tongue and then everything dried out as there was no saliva.  It looked just like this:

(not trying to gross anyone out, but no one else I know has ever had this)

Image result for parotid gland stone

The ENT cut into it with an X and drained it.  He said that sometimes they have to cut an X into it and stitch back the four corners, as the bubble can close up and then return.  Knock on wood, I haven't had any other issues and it was several years ago.  It was bizarre and it appeared quickly.  I usually have the dentist check "under the hood" when I'm there to make sure I don't have a giant stone under the tongue waiting to cause problems.  

Respected Contributor

Wow. When I read posts like this and realize how much I don't know. Thanks for the heads up!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Lapdog, what an awful experience.  Just the mention of sepsis scares the daylights out of me.  I lost one of my older sisters @ 59 to this terrible illness.  Take good care of yourself and good for you for staying on top of this.  LM

Valued Contributor

Lolakimono,

Wow!!!  That looks so painful!!!!  I am really happy to hear that it has not returned:-)

(my newest rescue is named Lola!)  I enjoy singing the many songs with your name.

Respected Contributor

@Lapdog, @lolakimono omigosh!!! I've never heard of anything like that. Frightening!!! My dentist feels under my chin and looks under my tongue at my cleanings. I feel better now knowing he might detect something like so it could be treated or whatever.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono-I've had this happen and pretty severly too-also a stone. I have to drink a lot of water and eat lemon drops candies (such a rough life,lol) to avoid another episode.

It is very painful and disfiguring, as well as dangerous.