Super Contributor

Re: Do non-critical care MD's have a responsibility to help

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to employ active military medical personnel to work on the civilian side. Our country needs them ready for military duty. 

Some military medical personnel are helping civilains. The hopital ships, Mercy and Comfort are being deployed to CA and NYC. They will care for civilian hospital patients.

Some military personnel in the US are tested positive and military medical personnel are treating them and their families on the bases. 

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

hckynut, we, forum, are not in the position to make these things happen. Spend time with those who can help. Those with the power to help.

@ahoymate 

Thank you for clarifying this for me. Didn't get the "we/forum" connection.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Where will these professionals "help"?

Just show up at a local ER and be welcomed? You have to have a contract with that hospital. Getting that contract and all that's involved is a big deal.

What "plans" are you an approved provider for? I'm sure that comes into play as well. The bill for seeing Dr Smith? Sorry, Dr. Smith is not an approved provider under your plan.

I have a large national insurer. They offered me Teledoc and waived any copays for COVID treatment. That's their gesture. Nothing said about seeing any dr or using any hospital.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@granddiI haven't heard what the outcome was, but I did hear the governor of Conn. speak last week about the need to have laws lifted during the emergency so that medical personnel can cross state borders.

@millieshops -
I heard that has already happened.
Don't know how many but a woman in NC went to help in NY and the red tape for not licensed tin NY was waived so she could help.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many "non-essential" medical practices ARE helping.  Several plastic surgery, dermatology centers etc. in this area have shut down for now, and donated their medical equipment and supplies. Gov Hogan here in Maryland put out a plea last week or the week before, for medical personnel in these practices (ie not working right now) to be a part of the Maryland Responds Medical Reserves Corps (also asking for retired health care professionals to help). IMO people are helping behind the scenes, whether they broadcast it or not.  (and IMO most do not boradcast it)

Valued Contributor

My ENT is very much seeing patients.  He also is sending me for a scan.  I went yesterday to pick up some stuff I have to drink and the Radiology office was very much business as usual.  

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

There are many physicians, PAs, NP, others who have had to stop seeing clinic patients. These would include specialities such: ophthalmology, dermatology, GI, allergy, ENT.

Do they have a moral obligation to help their fellow overworked health care providers?

What about military doctors? I know a young military doctor about to begin a residency in Sports Medicine. Why not postpone this assignment and help in this emergency.

What about doctors/nurses in non affected regions.

When a natural disaster(hurricane) distroys power in an area, power companies from all over the country help to restore.

Volunteers help clear debris and rebuild after tornados or floods.

Now is the time for health care workers setting on the sidelines come forward. There should be help for their travel, lodging, childcare and expenses. 

I wondered that too.  There is a NYT video of an ER doctor in a hospital in Queens saying she is on the point of collapse because she is so overworked.

Respected Contributor

3-26 News reports that 9000 former military health care workers have volunteered to help in the COVID emergency. This includes: medics, respiratory therapists, nurses,techs

Veterinarians are sending respirators used for large animals.

Respected Contributor

My husband is a recently retired orthopedic surgeon. He practiced and had admitting privileges in both NJ and NYC. He has been contacted about helping out in NYC if needed. We have an apartment in the city so he would be staying there and I would remain (alone) here.