Honored Contributor

Re: Do autoimmune diseases run in your family?

ALL the women (except for one) have had RA

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

To my knowledge, no.  I have enough of it to cover several people, though, so that's the positive part.  I'd rather just go ahead and have them all (since I have no choice) than have others suffer.

I think the arthritis is the only one that others in my family have probably had.  Since I have not seen anybody to whom I'm related in quite a few years, however, I could be wrong.

New Contributor

I was diagnosed with RA in my mid 50's. It came on suddenly within a week. The Dr. asked if it ran in my family and I said not that I know of. A week later it dawned on me that it was in my Dads family. I didn't know his family very well. I found out 1 of his sisters has RA really bad. His nephews had 2 sons with Juvenile RA, one is in a wheelchair and another niece who had Lupus, died when she was 26 in the 70's. I ended up with Hodgkins 5 years ago which is autoimmune related. In my Moms family there were 5 kids and 3 of them including my Mom died from colon cancer. But thanks to the grace of God, I am in remission. I do certainly worry about my son and grandchildren though. My husband was diagnosed recently with Macular Degeneration and his Dad had it too. Scary, isn't it?

Occasional Contributor

I have scleroderma with an overlap of mysotisis.No one else in my family have either of these diseases.I was told by my doctor who specializes in scleroderma that they really do not know where this illness comes from.I was in really bad shape about 4 years ago.With the help of my 2 doctors I have improved somewhat from 4 years ago,but there is no cure.I take several medications for fibrosis on my lungs and hypertension in my lungs.I have been on oxygen use since 2009. That does not stop me from exercising and living my life to the best of my ability.I am happy to be here living my life.

Trusted Contributor

We have clusters of Hashimoto's disease, Myesthenia Gravis, and Sjogren's.  Unfortunately, they run on both my mother's and father's side of the family.  What are the odds!

I have Hashimoto's and, as far as I know, nothing else.  But, that is a daily battle for me, especially this time of the year.  Have upped my thyroid hormone two times since October, and I'm still sleeping away my day.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@DeeDT wrote:

I had my thyroid removed in my thirties, so did my father, his mother (my grandmother), and her mother (my great grandmother).  So that's four generations all with thyroid issues.  Hopefully we can find a way to stop it before it effects my children.

The only way we can stop any disease is to find out first what causes it.  We don't know yet why the body starts to attack itself.

This is exactly what I think!! My daughter has Crohn's disease....no one on either side of the family has/had it, which made me do some research. This book was an EXCELLENT read.....shows why there can be autoimmune diseases in groups of people.auto.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I firmly believe that it is the result of all the chemicals that we are exposed to every day.

My daughter has Crohns and no one else in the family does.......BUT my hubby worked on the railroad....we have a picture of him and 2 other guys standing in front of the burning railcars at a derailment in the 70's. Whoever was in charge said there was no dangerous chemicals coming from the cars. ALL THREE of the guys had their kids come down with Crohn's disease in their early 20's, and none of them lived close to each other.

My husband to THIS DAY blames himself for being exposed to something toxic and causing our daughter to get Crohn's......

All of those poor people in Flint.....exposed to God knows what in that water ...and no one told them until it was too late....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@DeeDT wrote:

I had my thyroid removed in my thirties, so did my father, his mother (my grandmother), and her mother (my great grandmother).  So that's four generations all with thyroid issues.  Hopefully we can find a way to stop it before it effects my children.

The only way we can stop any disease is to find out first what causes it.  We don't know yet why the body starts to attack itself.

"If genetics load the gun, diet pulls the trigger."

I would even add lifestyle, as well as diet, pulls the trigger.

Nutrition & lifestyle plays a HUGE part in the maintenance and/or elimination of MANY of these conditions.  If we ingest something our body was not meant to have, it immediately goes into defense mode...and inflammation follows.

More often than not, the 'genetic' properties come from a long linage of bad nutrition:

GreatNana used lard,

Nana used Crisco,

Mom used Butter,

We use Olive Oil.

Day after day after day after day we 'donkey-punch' our body with this inflammation, but it's amazing how quickly the body wants to 'right' itself once we feed it with proper nutrition & healthy lifestyle.  But if it comes down to changing dietary habits versus walking around crippled (eg. Arthritis) during the last 20 yrs of life, it stuns me what most people choose.  

Changes CAN be made. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@DeeDT wrote:

This is exactly what I think!! My daughter has Crohn's disease....no one on either side of the family has/had it, which made me do some research. This book was an EXCELLENT read.....shows why there can be autoimmune diseases in groups of people.auto.jpg

Thanks Nataliesgrandma.  I am going to buy this book.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I just ordered the book, Nataliesgrandma.  After digesting it, I feel I may have more of a chance of engaging some of my doctors in conversation about AI, which they NEVER want to discuss.  "Let's try this (med), let's try that," is all I ever get.

Thanks again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986