Frequent Contributor

Re: Do autoimmune diseases run in your family?

Yes! Thanks for this thread and all the included info.

Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

For those interested, I just pre-ordered "The Autoimmune Connection" which is not available until the middle of March.  The authors are Rita Baron Faust and Jill Buyon.  It's all the very latest information on autoimmune disease and the most current treatments.  I ordered it from Amazon.

Thanks!  Great thread @LilacTree.

Honored Contributor

@Aubergene wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

For those interested, I just pre-ordered "The Autoimmune Connection" which is not available until the middle of March.  The authors are Rita Baron Faust and Jill Buyon.  It's all the very latest information on autoimmune disease and the most current treatments.  I ordered it from Amazon.

Thanks!  Great thread @LilacTree.

Thanks, Aubergene.  I hope it will be helpful for all of us and can't wait to read it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Ford, it's FatCatinCT.  I haven't heard from you in a very long time, how is Erin doing?

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that after the TB meds I took, I never did go on the biologics for RA.  I started the Autoimmune Paleo Diet and I have to say I have never felt better.  No RA pain, no fibro pain, sjogrens is in remission and my vitiligo is as well (all autoimmune diseases)  It is not an easy diet to follow, albeit it is a very delishious one!  A lot of meal prep but so worth it!  I do have to watch what I eat with my genetic mutations, especially the CBS++ which involves sulfur foods, I do not do well with those at all and AIP uses a lot of them i.e. garlic, onions etc.

I don't come on here very often at all anymore.  I do not like the new format (well not so new now, lol) and find that even after a month of not reading, very few posts have been added compared to before the change.

Take care, hope all is well.

Kath

edited:  yes autoimmune is genetic.  Pending which snps are expressing will depend on the immune disruption.  My son has anyklosking and crohns.  Mom had vitiligo too.  I am going into my 3rd year of classes in Genetics/Epigenetics, so fascinating!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhatCat

is good to see you, i always used to look for your posts on health, you have had a long hard journey, and learned alot that is helpful to others. i am glad you have found your path to health.Cat Very Happy

genetics/epigenetics: 

can you tell me what /where classes you have been taking ?

and any other main source of info for this.

genetic mutations/cbs ++ : how did you get this tested and where?

i know you are in ct, we are in nj.

my sister has been taking some type of holistic nutrional classes  and i hope she can get further into this particular  'gene' area. she and i have ai issues, and 'other unexplained' serious medical issues- and as we know, they tend to 'pile on' as years go by.

we have concerns for ourselves and our grown children - and our way of eating 'healthy' may not work if the good foods we eat everyday are just wrong for us.

for decades, we have been buried in health books, most at odds with each other, tho many plans do seem to help many people.

but how does one know their own best path? only so many times one can start over in a different direction, especially when there are already multiple health conditions complicating everyday life.

ps: ugh to the new forums- i sign in, click on my nic name, to go to my history, at least i can see where i have been lately on here- and if anyone has replied on that thread. i rarely post so that's the only way i can find me. Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

Hey Ford, it's FatCatinCT.  I haven't heard from you in a very long time, how is Erin doing?

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that after the TB meds I took, I never did go on the biologics for RA.  I started the Autoimmune Paleo Diet and I have to say I have never felt better.  No RA pain, no fibro pain, sjogrens is in remission and my vitiligo is as well (all autoimmune diseases)  It is not an easy diet to follow, albeit it is a very delishious one!  A lot of meal prep but so worth it!  I do have to watch what I eat with my genetic mutations, especially the CBS++ which involves sulfur foods, I do not do well with those at all and AIP uses a lot of them i.e. garlic, onions etc.

I don't come on here very often at all anymore.  I do not like the new format (well not so new now, lol) and find that even after a month of not reading, very few posts have been added compared to before the change.

Take care, hope all is well.

Kath

edited:  yes autoimmune is genetic.  Pending which snps are expressing will depend on the immune disruption.  My son has anyklosking and crohns.  Mom had vitiligo too.  I am going into my 3rd year of classes in Genetics/Epigenetics, so fascinating!

FatCat, I am so happy to hear from you!  I am also glad to hear that you are doing so much better.  I am taking seriously what you have written here.  I am not getting better, I am getting worse.  My body is capitulating to the autoimmune takeover unfortunately.

As to Erin, we don't know what she has anymore.  Sometimes she does better, other times she is in bed for days.  We live together now . . . the blind leading the blind.  But it was necessary for her financially for various reasons I can't go into here.

I plan to look into that Autoimmune Paleo Diet as soon as I finish this post.  As it stands right now, there are under ten foods I can eat.  Each diet contradicts the other and it gets very frustrating.

Again, I am so happy to hear from you with such good news!  Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Hi Shosh,

I started on my journey into genetics when my naturopath doc decided to test for a mutation called MTHFR, a very common mutation that causes clogs in the methylation pathway.  She knew to test, but not what to do with the results.  As this field is in its very early stages, I decided to take my health into my own hands and researched and read everything I could find. I found the genetic company 23andMe and had my DNA run as I knew from research that I had many other issues due to genetic mutations and then researched to death what it all meant. 

I came across the website Coursera, this website offers courses from Universities around the world for FREE!  I took every class offered for genetics/epigenetics, biology etc., anything related to the human body.  Although I had learned the ins and outs of my own genetics, I did not have the confidence to start treatment on my own as my situation is very complex.  Eventually I found a functional medicine doc with a PhD in nutrition that has helped me in my healing journey.  As she has all of the same issues as I have genetically, she knew exactly what supplements I should take, not to take (the most important in my opinion), what foods to eat and not to eat and what additional tests were needed.  

To give you an idea of a genetic mutation, -/- is a gene that is working 100%.  -/+ means heterozygous, one mutation to that gene, a gene that is working at a 30% deficiency.  This means you got one bad gene from one parent (you have two of the same gene, one from each parent).  +/+ is called homozygous, and that gene is working up to a 70% deficiency.  (both parents had bad or "mutated" genes).  

My analogy is this:  a fully functional pathway will have a softball size hole, everthing is flowing through the hole just fine.  A heterozygous gene, the hole will be baseball size and things start to clog up a bit (symptoms occur).  A homozygous gene, the hole will be the size of a golf ball, very little can get through and eventually things will really start to clog up on top and symptoms are really causing havoc to your body.  Depression, anxiety, food intolerances, bowel issues, sleep issues, autoimmune diseases start and it just snowballs from there.

Epigentics, the environmental impact on the microbiome.  Genes load the gun, the environment pulls the trigger.  Eat whole foods, preferably organic and grass fed.  No processed c rap and cut out dairy, soy and gluten. You are right, not one diet is for everyone, but I truly believe that just eliminating the foods referenced above you will be on the path to your healing journey.

Sorry, I rambled, as usual.  I hope this makes sense to you and I was of some help.

Kath

Super Contributor

Hi Ford :-)

Sorry to hear about your autoimmune issues.  Next time you are out and about near a book store, look at the book The Healing Kitchen.  This book will give you an idea of foods that can be eaten with some great recipes.  The diet is based on high, good fats and high, good protein. I imagine by now you have researched, what did you think??

As far as Erin, I'm wondering if perhaps she still has some lingering lyme that is popping up or even reocurring EBV.  And, of course, we all know what stress will do to the body!

Hugs to you both!

Kath

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhatCat wrote:

Hi Ford :-)

Sorry to hear about your autoimmune issues.  Next time you are out and about near a book store, look at the book The Healing Kitchen.  This book will give you an idea of foods that can be eaten with some great recipes.  The diet is based on high, good fats and high, good protein. I imagine by now you have researched, what did you think??

As far as Erin, I'm wondering if perhaps she still has some lingering lyme that is popping up or even reocurring EBV.  And, of course, we all know what stress will do to the body!

Hugs to you both!

Kath

Hi Kath.  Erin is thinking more Epstein Barr now than Lyme, although she still has high Lyme titers, but no MTHFR.  And yes to the stress . . . no doubt.  Ford

Have a great day!

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

Ulcerative colitis is an auto-immune disease as well. My sister had an ileostomy when she was 11 years old (in the 60's). Next my oldest brother had similar surgery in the mid 1980's. After that my second oldest brother was diagnosed but by that time they had much better meds to control it. A year ago I was diagnosed with it. So it is definitely genetic.