Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Think Taking Biotin Does Help Hair and Nails?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner   Absolutely not!  I took large doses of it for well over a year and saw no change whatsoever.  I don't think anything will improve hair and nails.  Its a matter if genetics, so blame your parents.  Our mom had good hair, bad nails just as my sister and I both have.

@Kachina624 

I'm your exact opposite!  Inherited from my mom bad hair (baby thin, fine, straight lifeless) and great nails. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I saw a thing online somewhere about this topic.  Someone said she never had any results or difference with biotin. 

However, she had decided to take silica caps.  Unfortunately, she had just started, so if the usual grow out time from cuticle to nail tip is about 3 months, who knows?

Has anyone here taken a silica supplement for nails and hair?   

@Tinkrbl44 

I've been taking silica supps for several years. It makes my hair silky soft plus it helps build denser bones and I have the numbers to prove that. Bones are almost entirely made of collagen and silica is a building block molecule which makes up collagen. 

@SilleeMee 

I know this thread is more than a week old, but I'm just now reading it.  Would you mind sharing what silica supplement you take and how much?  I'd like to try this for my bones and baby fine, thin hair. Thanks.

Oops, never mind!  I see where you answered this question farther down the thread.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Starpolisher 

Silica capsules are just as effective as the powder. Just follow the directions on the bottle. As for any dehydration problem, I don't have any issues with that. I take only one rounded 1/4-teaspoon daily and that isn't enough to cause any health concerns.

@SilleeMee 

So you don't take Biotin? I do take Biotin for my hair but would gladly give it up to improve my bone loss. I also take collagen. Would the silica supplement take the place of both of these? I know you are not a doctor but most doctors don't know. I saw where you said your Dexa Scan improved and your doctor was surprised!(an older thread) That's what I want. Results! From someone who has experienced it first hand. Can you please recommend a silica capsule. I'm more interested in helping my Osteopenia, Arthritis and improving my Dexa Scan, as you did, than my hair and nails. Thank you

@SilleeMee 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Super Contributor

I have been taking an over the counter hair-skin and nail supplement several times a week for the past year and Vital Proteins in my coffee each morning.  It has made a big difference for me.   Always a medium bob haircut and now my hair is past my shoulder blades.  My nails have not been this long, naturally....ever. I also eat tons of vegetables, drink tons of water and stay away from processed foods. In addition I take magnesium and turmeric every evening which has helped improve my rest.  Wen shampoo is magic.  My hair is thicker, shiny and reduced the breakage.  I have blond hair and it is tough to get shine.  I only shampoo my hair twice per week.  I use a round brush blow dryer on the low setting after letting my hair dry more than 50% by itself.  If I want some extra volume on the following days I use Velcro roller (dampened hair)  that I purchased form the Dollar Tree.  I only use other heated products on special occasions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Starpolisher 

Silica capsules are just as effective as the powder. Just follow the directions on the bottle. As for any dehydration problem, I don't have any issues with that. I take only one rounded 1/4-teaspoon daily and that isn't enough to cause any health concerns.

@SilleeMee 

So you don't take Biotin? I do take Biotin for my hair but would gladly give it up to improve my bone loss. I also take collagen. Would the silica supplement take the place of both of these? I know you are not a doctor but most doctors don't know. I saw where you said your Dexa Scan improved and your doctor was surprised!(an older thread) That's what I want. Results! From someone who has experienced it first hand. Can you please recommend a silica capsule. I'm more interested in helping my Osteopenia, Arthritis and improving my Dexa Scan, as you did, than my hair and nails. Thank you

@SilleeMee 

@Starpolisher 

I do not take biotin and I don't have any recs for a silica capsule. I take the powder form of silica (100% pure bamboo extract) which does not replace biotin or collagen. Silica is actually a building block of collagen. Silica is needed to build collagen. HTH.

ETA- 

Try to find a silica capsule supp which doesn't contain fillers. Look for one with all silica, in other words. 

Here's one from amazon. I would take two of these daily, each with a meal in the AM and PM.

Pure Original Ingredients Bamboo Extract, (100 Capsules) Always Pure, No Additives Or Fillers, Lab Verified

download.jfif
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Starpolisher 

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee 

@Starpolisher 

I do not take biotin and I don't have any recs for a silica capsule. I take the powder form of silica (100% pure bamboo extract) which does not replace biotin or collagen. Silica is actually a building block of collagen. Silica is needed to build collagen. HTH.

ETA- 

Try to find a silica capsule supp which doesn't contain fillers. Look for one with all silica, in other words. 

Here's one from amazon. I would take two of these daily, each with a meal in the AM and PM.

Pure Original Ingredients Bamboo Extract, (100 Capsules) Always Pure, No Additives Or Fillers, Lab Verified

download.jfif

@SilleeMee 

Thank you so very much for your advice! I really do appreciate it! Having it come from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself AND has seen improvement with the same issue that I have(Osteopenia) is very valuable to me!

Btw, I have been researching it myself also. I did read that it was a building block of collagen. I don't want the nay-sayers thinking that I'm following you blindly or that you're being reckless with your opinion. I'm a retired Special Education teacher(after 26 years). Before that I was a nurse for 23 years(since 1973). I still have my nursing license. I can tell you we never learned anything about these supplements and short of going to a Holistic doctor, most doctors know nothing about them either. Just saying, I'm not some air-head following the leader! LOL! Smiley LOL Thanks again! 

Oh...and thanks for the recommendation for the capsules! I so love that you do the leg-work!!!Smiley Wink

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

You're welcome and thank you so much for your very kind words. Made my day!Woman Very Happy

Good luck with your next bone density scan. Did you know that bones are almost entirely made of collagen? Silica will help them stay strong. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Biotin (aka vitamin B7) deficiency is rare and unless there is a deficiency then no one should be taking biotin supplements. Vitamin B7 is found in the food we eat and b/c of that there is no official recommended daily amount for biotin.

It's not appropriate for you to advise posters which supplements to take - stop it ✋ 

Then report me to the appropriate authorities. What's the point in making an open fuss about it if you find it wrong or inappropriate. I sense deliberate negativity pointed directly  at me and it hasn't been the first time but multiple times.  

Just for the record, I know what I'm talking about.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Biotin-Consumer/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671293/

Honored Contributor

I took a Bamboo supplement for months did nothing. I am now trying KAL Silica Plus, i tablet per day, jury still out. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner , I have been taking Andrew Lessman's "Healthy Hair Skin & Nails" for MANY years. It contains 5,000 mcg of Biotin plus many other ingredients.

In the past two years my nails have broken off to practically nothing. I keep thinking why do I bother to take it. Since I have very little left of my nails.