Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think Taking Biotin Does Help Hair and Nails?

I take Biotin at the suggestion of my PCP. I was taking it for thinning hair and I don't see much difference unless it has halted more thinning, but it has really caused my fingernails to grow fast....I find myself cutting them weekly. Doesn't seem to do the same for my toenails. No impact on my skin that I can see but Wouk dt know how to really measure that.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It definitely helps with my nails, hair not so much. 

Same with me!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I was just reading this article in AARP this morning.  It's actually talking about nails, but here's an excerpt which I found interesting:

"One thing Flowers doesn’t recommend, however, is the nutritional supplement biotin, which is often touted for its ability to strengthen frail nails. Flowers argues that there's not much evidence to indicate it helps. And taking it in supplement form can “significantly interfere with certain lab tests and cause incorrect results that may go undetected,” the Food and Drug Administrationnotes in an advisory to the public — including tests that diagnose heart attacks. It’s always best to consult a doctor before adding any new over-the-counter drug or supplement into the mix."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I take KAL Silica Plus, one tablet per day. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack Yikes!  And thanks for bringing that to our attention!  So nice of you to share this information!

Honored Contributor

Biotin (aka vitamin B7) deficiency is rare and unless there is a deficiency then no one should be taking biotin supplements. Vitamin B7 is found in the food we eat and b/c of that there is no official recommended daily amount for biotin.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You're welcome @Starpolisher .

Good luck with using the silica. I won't ever go without it. 

@SilleeMee 

I'm looking to improve my Osteopnia and my Dexa Scan. Is it better to take this in powder foarm as opposed to pills? I dont drink smoothies. Can this be mixed with coffee? Here are some things I read about taking this supplement;( the things in red are what I'm looking to improve)

improve bone density in osteoporosis, reducing pain from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, hair loss, hair thickness, skin health & youthfulness, strengthen nails, improve gum and dental health, lower hypertension (high blood pressure), muscle cramps & pain, allergy relief, etc, etc.

Does this concern you? Do you take a vitamin B1 or potasium supplement too?

"Be aware that consumption of Bamboo Extract with it's high levels of Silica can be dehydrating and attempts to over hydrate can cause a depletion in potassium and long term use can cause serious depletion of Vitamin B1 (thiamine)."

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

Silica capsules are just as effective as the powder. Just follow the directions on the bottle. As for any dehydration problem, I don't have any issues with that. I take only one rounded 1/4-teaspoon daily and that isn't enough to cause any health concerns.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

You're welcome @Starpolisher .

Good luck with using the silica. I won't ever go without it. 

@SilleeMee 

I'm looking to improve my Osteopnia and my Dexa Scan. Is it better to take this in powder foarm as opposed to pills? I dont drink smoothies. Can this be mixed with coffee? Here are some things I read about taking this supplement;( the things in red are what I'm looking to improve)

improve bone density in osteoporosis, reducing pain from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, hair loss, hair thickness, skin health & youthfulness, strengthen nails, improve gum and dental health, lower hypertension (high blood pressure), muscle cramps & pain, allergy relief, etc, etc.

Does this concern you? Do you take a vitamin B1 or potasium supplement too?

"Be aware that consumption of Bamboo Extract with it's high levels of Silica can be dehydrating and attempts to over hydrate can cause a depletion in potassium and long term use can cause serious depletion of Vitamin B1 (thiamine)."

@Starpolisher - make sure that you check with your doctor.

That poster is reckless on the forums dishing out 'medically' related 'advice' and promoting her products. It's inappropriate and I strongly advise you to be aware

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Biotin (aka vitamin B7) deficiency is rare and unless there is a deficiency then no one should be taking biotin supplements. Vitamin B7 is found in the food we eat and b/c of that there is no official recommended daily amount for biotin.

It's not appropriate for you to advise posters which supplements to take - stop it ✋ 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri