Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think Discount Dental Plans Are Worth It?

I don't think they are worth it.  They pay 100% of cleaning and checkups but if you have to have major work done like a bridge or crown, they are pretty much worthless. 

Honored Contributor

We lost our plan due to retirement as well, signed up for a plan from Met Life, it has been great the last few years, highly recommend. Saved us quite a bit of money. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have experience with this. I don’t think it is worth it. Most will have a max payout of 1k dollars or so. by the time you pay your premiums it’s barely anything. One fixed bridge will eat that up. Then on top of it the one I have is a 50/50. So they only pay half. 

Respected Contributor

IMO, dental discount plans are more beneficial than insurance plans. As others have noted, insurance plans have a cap so the pay out is actually quite small. 

Discount plans are less expensive and in some cases the discounts are quite large. Like 50% reduction in the charge for service. 

Find out what discount plans your dentist accepts. Then take a look and see what it costs to enroll in the plan and what the discounts are for various services. Then you'll be able to decide if it's cost effective to enroll.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   My DH and I recently lost our dental coverage that we had had for years with my husbands employer. His retire package covers medical, but not dental.  We bought a plan from Delta Dental that was almost mirrors the plan we had  which was also Delta Dental.

we pay for both of us, $115.00 a month. We have only had it  6 months so-not long enough to see if it is worth it yet.  Last cleaning my husband had with the new plan, which involved  X-rays...cleaning...doctor check... and fluoride....use to be covered 100% with the old policy....he had to pay $50 this time.....

So as we use the coverage we will see how well it covers the bigger stuff. 

Honored Contributor

My supplemental medical insurance pays 500 dollars a year for check ups, xrays and simple fillings. In the past 3 years I have shelled out over 10 thousand dollars between the periodontist and my general dentist. The discount the dentists give in my area is minimal and your bill has to be over 2 thousand dollars to get any discount. I have looked into dental insurance and it's not worth it for the kind of dental needs I have. Thank goodness I can pay my dental bills, in fact I was at my new dentist today and she said my teeth look great, they should!

Esteemed Contributor

I was a dental assistant for 30 years before recently retiring.   IMO, I feel most dental insurances are a complete ripoff.  We always told patients to put the money aside that you would pay insurance premiums with and use that for your preventive care and other things that may occur.   You'll find you have more $$ to spend.   Granted, things come up such as root canals and broken teeth needing crowns.......but just think of the money you save by not "donating" to the insurance providers!!    KEEP IN MIND, PREVENTIVE CARE IS THE BEST MEDICINE!!!     Brush, floss and rinse with Listerine daily is my best advice.    Happy smilesSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have recently started using a new fabulous dentist. He decided to start his discount/insurance plan. There are several different levels that I can buy that cover all the fees for the preventative services plus a flat discount off all services, no exclusions. Much better than any dental insurance I’ve ever used.
Honored Contributor

Probably not but you should read the literature thoroughly to see exactly what your benefits would be and then compare that to the premiums and co-pay.  My nephew had one years ago and it was pretty much worthless or at least not worth the premiums after the deductibles and co-pays were applied.    Considering what wasn't covered, the co-pays and deductibles; his dentist told him, he'd have done better by banking the premiums and asking for a self pay discount for his dental work.  Dentists will work with the patients when the patients don't have insurance.  But patients have to ask for discounts and payment plans.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@cuddlesmama   My DH and I recently lost our dental coverage that we had had for years with my husbands employer. His retire package covers medical, but not dental.  We bought a plan from Delta Dental that was almost mirrors the plan we had  which was also Delta Dental.

we pay for both of us, $115.00 a month. We have only had it  6 months so-not long enough to see if it is worth it yet.  Last cleaning my husband had with the new plan, which involved  X-rays...cleaning...doctor check... and fluoride....use to be covered 100% with the old policy....he had to pay $50 this time.....

So as we use the coverage we will see how well it covers the bigger stuff. 

I have Delta Dental, too, and was surprised to get a $50 copay on my recent preventive exam. In the past, all of these services were covered 100% and the deductible only came into play when a filling had to be done.  

I may discontinue this plan, since it seems like I’m barely going to break even.  Most of my dental visits are just for routine cleanings.