Respected Contributor

Do You Think Discount Dental Plans Are Worth It?

Ii am retired and since I lost my dental and vision benefits I looked into discount dental plans and would like some feed back on people whom have it and do  you think it is worth it. I  know dental costs are so expensive.Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Discount Dental Plans Are Worth It?

Maybe they are for some.  Years ago when my children were young, we belonged to one.  It was fine because my girls just needed their teeth cleaned.

But when it was just my late husband and myself we opted not to do it.

The dentist I have now has told me he has patients that have these dental plans but in the end I pay the same as they do without the dental plan.  He just discounts whatever I'm having done.

He and I have become friends over the years.  I had to have some extensive dental work done.  It cost me thousands of dollars (much was cosmetic).  So, I don't regret not having a dental plan.

I think you should talk to your dentist as each one is different.  In some cases they are a good idea.  In other cases with different dentists they aren't worth the money.

Some of them don't pay much toward things like crowns, etc which is what one needs often as they get old(er).

Just one more thing to look forward to (Ugh) as we all get old(er)...(Again...ugh).

Respected Contributor

I don’t have any experience with discount dental plans but in addition to any answers you get here I would also ask my dentist’s office if they accept it and if they do if they have any further insight on any discount dental plans. 

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Ii am retired and since I lost my dental and vision benefits I looked into discount dental plans and would like some feed back on people whom have it and do  you think it is worth it. I  know dental costs are so expensive.Thanks!!

I had a plan for both, and we think it was too expensive. It was only $26 a month, but I get my teeth cleaned  twice a year and it's only $48., also they paid only $100.00 on my glasses, which I had to have after cataract surgery, and Medicare paid for most of the new glass, We felt it wasn't worth it. Also my dentist and eye DR, didn't think it was worth it. Shop around then decide if it's what you would need. 

Honored Contributor

It probably depends on how much dental work you expect to need.  I'm in the same position and most of the plans were $30+/month which doesn't seem worth it to me since they also had a 6 month waiting period and an annual maximum.  I wound up with a Humana plan, $23.90/month, no waiting period, $1,000/year maximum.  I figure I should at least break out even.  My dentist does give senior discounts so that also helps.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

When I retired in 2010, my dentist's staff recommended Dental Save.  I think it's $79 per year for senior citizen rate.

I have one set of x-rays, two cleanings, two exams, and usually something else done on one of those visits.   I save more than $79 with the reduced fees.

If you don't have regular dental visits ... I don't know if it would be worth it.  But - it is worth it for me.  

Honored Contributor

You really have to research each plan as well as "read the fine print" w/a magnafying glass & a microscope as a backup. 

Most if not all of "discount" plans do not cover "cosmetic" dental work like braces, porcelain crowns, veneers, bridges and bonding, etc.  Just the basics.

There are "cosmetic" dental plans but rarely at a discount.

The best "discounts" when it comes to dental and/or cosmetic procedures is to have your work done at a dental school.  You pay what you can afford

The dental school(s) in my neck of the woods the pay scale is "income based."   Seniors get a "special" rate which I suspect is lower than the income based scale.

You should also check out this thread.......

Dental Insurance

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I also would suggest speaking with your dentist or the office manager before signing up for any plan.

I haven’t had dental insurance for many years.  A few years ago my dentist developed his own discount plan for his patients like me that didn’t have any kind of insurance.  I pay a yearly fee to him.  It covers preventative care (basically everything done in a cleaning visit) and substantial discounts for any other work, like crowns, fillings, etc.  If I need a crown or something like that, if I pay his estimate beforehand, I get an even bigger discount.  In the end, if I just go in for two cleaning sessions a year, which is normal for me, I end up paying about half of what I would without insurance.  It’s less expensive for me to go with his plan than any insurance or discount plan I have to pay for myself.  And I need no pre-authorizations!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I also would suggest speaking with your dentist or the office manager before signing up for any plan.

I haven’t had dental insurance for many years.  A few years ago my dentist developed his own discount plan for his patients like me that didn’t have any kind of insurance.  I pay a yearly fee to him.  It covers preventative care (basically everything done in a cleaning visit) and substantial discounts for any other work, like crowns, fillings, etc.  If I need a crown or something like that, if I pay his estimate beforehand, I get an even bigger discount.  In the end, if I just go in for two cleaning sessions a year, which is normal for me, I end up paying about half of what I would without insurance.  It’s less expensive for me to go with his plan than any insurance or discount plan I have to pay for myself.  And I need no pre-authorizations!

@geezerette    I have something very similar, and it it worth it for me, also.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have dental insurance or a plan of any kind. But I do have a savings account which I use partly to pay for dental care.  My dental health is in very good condition, and has been since I can remember.