Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Take Those Joint-Flex Pills?

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I take Move Free with MSM. You’re supposed to take 3 a day, but I usually end up taking 2 a day. I also take fish oil once a day. I’m a little bit creakier than in my younger days, but I notice it’s worse if I miss my vitamins a couple days in a row. 

@Eileen in Virginia     I made that mistake for a while. But 'joint pills' don't work like pain pills.  They don't mask pain, but work to prevent circumstances that cause it.  If you don't take your chosen product's full recommended dose you won't get a theraputic effect from the ones you do take. 

@cherry  ,  very good point, and shows why a little time doing comparative research is worthwhile, before choosing any OTC supplement.

Those manufacturers that provide a clean product in consistent dosages have to compete with manufacturers that don't. It's up to the savvy consumer to discern which is which.

Everything I've decided to take OTC has my doctor's blessing, as they are effective choices, side effects are nil, and they don't interfere with any of my prescribed meds.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge I agree with you and that's why I asked the question.  I have read a lot of things, all confusing and nothing conclusive.

I nowhere need a doctor, but I was just asking about personal experiences.  What you read is all over the place, and because I have "known" a lot of our posters, I was just asking have any of these things helped YOU.

I appreciate all the responses, and thought it was a good topic for discussion.  Nothing more than that.  

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch I am considering going back to glucosimine condroition.  I have taken turmeric curcumin for a while and it worked up to now.  When I took clucosimine my hygenist remarked that my gums were beautiful  Cant prove it but think it helped

@tobes  There are numerous studies showing they don’t do anything.  Plus, glucosamine is a sugar - something I am limiting in my diet.  Eliminating sugar, losing weight, drinking bone broth, and taking collagen peptides are working better for me.  My knees haven’t felt this good in a long time.  

Honored Contributor

Yes I am now and have been for the last 10 months---I really like Joint X by dr Emil---it has the chond/ glucos/ along with boswellia, msm and maybe turmeric---I buy it from AMZ--injured my minicus in both knees last Dec and coud hardly walk. Going up and down stairs was agony---did all the usual stuff--ice, pain relievers, braces --went to a knee dr and he wanted an MRI --thought there were small tears--and maybe surgery---but I decided to try p/t first and then go from there---then I started taking Joint X and found that within the first 5 days---my knees felt so much better. And they still do. Also rub CBD cream on them too. A good combo for me--btw--I am 65 if that makes a difference. 

Honored Contributor

I have taken those in the past.  I've also taken turmeric with curcumin.  I know I've tried other things but can't remember what.  I took them for two to three months each (or longer).  None of them helped.  I now take Mobic and Tylenol arthritis strength.  Those two things do help but not completely.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Both worked for me.  I gave up the gluclosiimine because I was more expensive then the turmeric.  Who knows what is in the supplements, but I say if they work then go ahead.  Some of the major prescribed medicines have dangerous side effects.  My cousin who is a cardiac MD says for example that statins reduce cholesterol levels but no one knows if they just reduce the levels or are doing any good in the blood stream.  He does not recommend statins.  I had a problem with walking when I took them.  Lost weight and sorta solved my problem with chloesterol levels.

Honored Contributor

4CFE3032-AECC-403C-864D-1C357402C3ED.jpeg

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

4CFE3032-AECC-403C-864D-1C357402C3ED.jpeg

In addition to eating more plant based foods, I would suggest moving more in a well planned controlled program.  I've been able to get my hip osteoarthritis pain under control, as well as most of that creeky morning feeling by using the Classical Stretch program.   I have always hated stretching, but I do 1 of these presentations everyday, or I start to regress and get more aches and pains.

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I take Move Free with MSM. You’re supposed to take 3 a day, but I usually end up taking 2 a day. I also take fish oil once a day. I’m a little bit creakier than in my younger days, but I notice it’s worse if I miss my vitamins a couple days in a row. 

-----------------

Years ago, I was told that Move Free can raise  blood pressure, so I stopped taking it!  Wasn't really helping much anyway....