Esteemed Contributor

In an effort to strengthen my core, I have started planking every day.  I'm up to 2&1/2 mins.  My planks are on the elbows and I try very hard to have nice level form and to contract my abs.

I am amazed at how strong it makes me feel, for such a small time investment.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Yes.  Started doing it in yoga class.  It isn’t complicated, doesn’t take long, and gives great benefits 

Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia: 73 and yes I do planks but usually only 1-1/2 minutes at a time. I do one round as part of my warm up then again at some point during my work out and then again at the end. I used to be able to hold for 2-2/12 minutes but I do seem to feel age affecting me. 

I can feel my core engage as I lift or move things during the day. It's such a good feeling.

Gotta brag a bit as because of the years of doing weights and all, my bone scan came back last year saying I’ve got the bones of a 24 year old. I was pleasantly shocked but really helps keep me motivated.

Esteemed Contributor

You are amazing @Sadiesadie!

I'm getting to the meditation while planking point, myself, and it's really almost enjoyable.  I think I will branch off into some side planks soon.

I'm only 58 but I hope to keep cranking for a long time.  People inspire.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnoliawrote:

You are amazing @Sadiesadie!

I'm getting to the meditation while planking point, myself, and it's really almost enjoyable.  I think I will branch off into some side planks soon.

I'm only 58 but I hope to keep cranking for a long time.  People inspire.

I have to say that it helps me to do a lot of my planking during yoga class.  Having someone talk you through it, and distract you, makes it easier. 

Esteemed Contributor

I plank to QVC!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I fell off the boat.

Respected Contributor

Not on a regular basis....after reading this topic I will do it now daily!!  What amazing results you all are having....I am blown away!  The best I can do right now is 25 seconds...on elbows.  

Honored Contributor

I just got a cup of coffee and planked myself on the couch.  We're probably defining plank differently...lol

Honored Contributor

Two videos for those who want to up their plank game and really strengthen the core.  It has been shown that after between 15 and 60 seconds, if being contracted strongly, the core musles will relegate the responsibility for the prone plank hold to other muscles, diminishing the effect to the muscles you want to strengthen.  Core strength improves with dynamic movement and that type of movement should be added after the simple elbow prone plank can be held in good position for no longer than 60 seconds.

Love these 2 videos for instruction and more progressions for almost endless planking progressions!

Happy Planking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HGDTCCQSA&t=296s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDNOZCoBFqg&t=30s